4 replies to this topic

Nyami

Nyami

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hi Everybody,
I am in the process of making a Dot Density Map in ArcGIS 10.1. I would like to create a "visual anchor" (boxes in the legend that include 2 or 3 examples of dot densities followed by text describing the density such as 'low, medium, high') as part of the legend so that map readers can reference different dot densities represented on different parts of the map. Everything that I have read says this is an important feature to include on a Dot Density map but so far I haven't seen anything about how to create the visual anchor. Can anyone offer any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Nyami

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I've never tried to quantify the density of the dots with an ordinal scale. A well executed dot density should speak for itself, the data are dense where the dots are dense and they are sparse where there is a paucity of dots.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

One way to make a dot denisty legend with different patches representing different densities would be to make it as a data frame, with mock data. Create however many rectangles you want (or whatever shape you want the legend patches to be), give each shape an appropriate value, symbolize with the same dot density settings as used in your actual map, and label/annotate as you like (you could probably set up fields in the data and use labeling properties to do the labeling, or just use static text).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Nyami

Nyami

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

One way to make a dot denisty legend with different patches representing different densities would be to make it as a data frame, with mock data. Create however many rectangles you want (or whatever shape you want the legend patches to be), give each shape an appropriate value, symbolize with the same dot density settings as used in your actual map, and label/annotate as you like (you could probably set up fields in the data and use labeling properties to do the labeling, or just use static text).

Very clever! That works.

Thank you,
Nyami

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • United States

I would select three parts of the map that represent the three categories (low, med, high). Use something like MWSnap 3 (freeware) to select a pre-sized square or rectangular part of the map, then include these three selections as images in the legend. To get a higher resolution for print mapping, size the map quite large--a large screen is helpful--then take the snapshots and size them down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->