- 3+ years in a professional capacity creating beautiful and compelling visualizations and stories
- Experience building API-driven mashups
- Experience with TileMill, mapnik, postgis, SQL
- Basic Python skills
- Working knowledge of GIS tools (Manifold, QGIS, ArcGIS, etc…)
- Minimum Bachelors degree in CS or equivalent
- Mastery of design principles and aesthetics
- Working knowledge of agile development practices
- Continually surprise and inspire by creating compelling visual stories with minimal direction
Urban Mapping provides geospatial web and data services to simplify the development and deployment of online mapping and data visualization applications. Mapfluence service offers a solid technical infrastructure for mapping, custom base maps and the industry’s most comprehensive on-demand data catalog. Since 2006, leading interactive publishers like Google, Yahoo! and Microsoft and leading enterprises like CoStar Group, Tableau Software and CoreLogic have utilized Urban Mapping’s geospatial data and technology. For more information, please visit www.urbanmapping.com.
This position pays a competitive base salary + benefits, including paid vacation, health insurance, stock options, training/education, centrally located in San Francisco’s Financial District, two blocks from BART, regular company outings, food & fun, reasonable hours, no in-office foosball table or game console. We are a startup in name only–with over six years of operating experience, only seed financing and profitability, Urban Mapping isn’t the typical Silicon Valley story, but we’re passionate about what we do and strive for excellence in our work.
To express interest in this position, the least interesting application would include a CV and PDF of past work. We want to see your delight for and passion in telling stories with maps. We are not looking for a cartographer in the traditional sense. If you skills are only well-honed in the areas of Photoshop and ESRI with output to PDF or large-format posters, this is likely not a role for you; our domain is creating maps and interactive experiences across a variety of devices and platforms. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “STORYTELLER” in the subject line.