• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Food: An Atlas is a collection of over 60 maps (and growing!) cooperatively-created by the guerrilla cartography community, a loose band of people who are passionate about geography or food, or both. The atlas endeavors to map food in its myriad contexts and conditions at all scales of research and geography. Dealing with subjects as varied as global cropland distribution, Los Angeles’s historic agrarian landscape, community supported fisheries in Massachusetts, the redistribution of food surpluses in Italy, and Taco Trucks of East Oakland, its chapters focus on food production, food distribution, food security and cuisine. Smaller chapters are devoted to conceptual food maps and a kids’ chapter brought to you by the UK’s Geography Collective for the youngest kickstarters to begin their exploration of the world of food.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

What an interesting project. I immediately wondered if I could submit a map about wild salmon population and habitat in the Pacific Northwest--a topic I work on frequently. However, I don't think I could get it done by Oct 26! Hans, will you be submitting anything?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

What an interesting project. I immediately wondered if I could submit a map about wild salmon population and habitat in the Pacific Northwest--a topic I work on frequently. However, I don't think I could get it done by Oct 26! Hans, will you be submitting anything?

Nope, way too busy at NACIS for that.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Holly B

Holly B

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

Maps and food, a great project!