• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

MalcolmTex

MalcolmTex

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hi everyone, I am brand new to this forum. I hope someone here can help me. I am not a map maker, but an author. I create
and publish guidebooks for hiking and mountain biking. As part of a new book, I would like to grab satellite imagery, possibly from the USGS EarthExplorer site (?) of certain areas of forest lands etc areas covered in the book. I would then label them in Illustrator for eventual use in InDesign.

I am having a really hard time grabbing the exact hi rez images I want, and am exasperated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bryan Swindell

Bryan Swindell

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • United States

Hi everyone, I am brand new to this forum. I hope someone here can help me. I am not a map maker, but an author. I create
and publish guidebooks for hiking and mountain biking. As part of a new book, I would like to grab satellite imagery, possibly from the USGS EarthExplorer site (?) of certain areas of forest lands etc areas covered in the book. I would then label them in Illustrator for eventual use in InDesign.

I am having a really hard time grabbing the exact hi rez images I want, and am exasperated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there, and welcome. Could you let us know what workflow you have tried, and what obstacles you are running into? A lot of us use EarthExplorer and could probably help. It's also possible that you may not need EE and could benefit from other sources of imagery.

AaronP

AaronP

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

In case you have not tried the following steps already, try these:
  • In the Earth Explorer viewer, select the "Search Criteria" tab
  • Zoom into your area of interest in the map viewer
  • Once your aoi is contained within the viewer, select the "Use Map" button to highlight the entire screen
  • Select the "Data Sets" tab at the top of the viewer
  • Under the "Aerial Photography" drop down menu, select the "High Resolution Orthoimagery" check box.
  • At the bottom of the viewer, select the "Results" button
  • The results will show individual tiled 0.5 m orthoimagery. Make sure to make note of the dates of each image
  • Select the footprint icon next to the individual tiled images until your area of interest if fully contained by the footprints
  • Select the "Add to Bulk Download" icon next to the selected images
  • Select the "View Item Basket" > "Proceed to Checkout" > "Submit Order"
Follow the download directions to download and unzip your images. Good luck!

IlliniBone

IlliniBone

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Have you tried this site?

http://datagateway.n...v/GDGOrder.aspx

You can download imagery by county, it is very helpful for me.

You can drop me a line at abohnhoff@gmail.com if you need a hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->