4 replies to this topic

TCAF

TCAF

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi,
I'm interested in producing a map in a style similar to the pic--with wooden dowels at the top and bottom, like an old classroom chart in front of a blackboard that is rolled up frequently.

I own one vintage example and it has a linen backing that increases its durability. I would like the same for my map.

I'm trying to find a map printing company that will do something like this (I'll be producing quantities). The wooden dowels I can have done elsewhere, but the linen backing is something that most printing companies don't do, hence my looking specifically towards a map printing company.

Do any map printing companies still do this?

I am going to contact companies that are mentioned on this site, among them Techna-Graphics and Williams and Heintz Map, but before I do, I wanted to see if anybody on this forum had any ideas or leads. (I am in the US.)

Posted Image

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've once produced a map for a Belgian company selling school materials (Vincent Leermiddelen, but their site seems to be only in Dutch and French). I just delivered the digital file, they took care of the printing and mounting. Could get you in touch with them if you like, maybe they have some leads for you.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Holly B

Holly B

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

Greetings,

We used to print wall maps for a company, that then took care of the mounting. They are no longer in business. With so many changes in technology these days, so much craftsmanship and knowledge is being lost.

We can however print your map directly onto a coated canvas material, (used in banners), with our 64 inch Epson, inkjet. It does very nice quality prints. If you send us a file, we can make you a sample.

Holly

Holly Heintz Budd
President
Williams & Heintz Map Corporation
8119 Central Ave.
Capitol Heights, MD 20743
hbudd@whmap.com
www.whmap.com
office: 301-336-1144
cell: 443-975-4181

TCAF

TCAF

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

I've once produced a map for a Belgian company selling school materials (Vincent Leermiddelen, but their site seems to be only in Dutch and French). I just delivered the digital file, they took care of the printing and mounting. Could get you in touch with them if you like, maybe they have some leads for you.

Thanks for the lead! I am still in the research and design phase but I will remember your offer when the time is right.

TCAF

TCAF

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

Greetings,

We used to print wall maps for a company, that then took care of the mounting. They are no longer in business. With so many changes in technology these days, so much craftsmanship and knowledge is being lost.

We can however print your map directly onto a coated canvas material, (used in banners), with our 64 inch Epson, inkjet. It does very nice quality prints. If you send us a file, we can make you a sample.

Holly

Holly Heintz Budd
President
Williams & Heintz Map Corporation
8119 Central Ave.
Capitol Heights, MD 20743
hbudd@whmap.com
www.whmap.com
office: 301-336-1144
cell: 443-975-4181

Holly Thanks for your reply, nice to hear from you--I will definitely contact you directly when we are ready for the printing stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->