• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Juliaan

Juliaan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

I am moving to Louisville in the next couple months and I am trying to learn more about the area. My girlfriend is there and currently looking for an apartment, so I'm trying to learn the safe areas before we sign a lease. This information is provided by Louisville KY but only for a 4 months period but with such a large city it gave me a decent sample size. The map is made using a point density analysis, with weighted rankings on the tendency of the crime for violence/confrontation. (If anyone can explain the difference between Kernel density tool and Point density tool I'd greatly appreciate it. Ive read a lot but still don't really get it.). The next step is create a neighborhood layer to overlay for more information. TIGER street files were originally introduced but with the basemap looked less cluttered.
I am just delving into crime analyst maps. I am expanding my knowledge on spatial analyst tools still so input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Attached File  CrimeMap.jpg   545.13KB   124 downloads

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Not too much to say about the cartography except that the map looks squeezed vertically. Projection problem?

I worked on a similar map for Chicago but I felt it was more useful to exclude the domestic situations and crimes that occurred inside homes or apartments (except maybe burglary and home invasion). It seemed to me that what apartment-seekers really wanted to know about was stranger-on-stranger street crime.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

GeoMapster

GeoMapster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design<br />Geographic Information Systems<br />Improving maps made in GIS
  • United States

Your legend would be improved by labeling it differently, perhaps something along the lines of "Number of Crimes".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->