Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Bojan,

I really like your panoramic map a lot!! I said, "oh yeah!" when I opened your first example because it was a beauty! Your efforts over the last three years I can really admire as I too took on a huge Photoshop project like this. And your effort has paid off. I just love these types of maps and you really produced a fine artistic and functional piece of artwork that people can press their noses into and get lost in. When your artwork draws people in like a magnet then you know you did something successful.

Keep on refining it from a graphic design standpoint too. I'm with Philip Riggs in that a nicely designed title would be a great addition along with a unique border treatment that fits the style. A compasse rose I'm sure is in the works, correct? I was going to suggest a very faint white glow around your text labels to separate them a bit more from the artwork for greater readability purposes but then again am not sure when I saw the close up. I think the black labels work still. If you have your labels in InDesign you could apply an easy "style" adjustment overall. And with final output, InDesign vector text will always be crisper on the final printed piece. If your labels are in Photoshop then that would be an enormous amount of work to apply a Blending Options glow to each and every one. But some of the larger cities you might make the labels a bit larger to stand out more. I agree about putting top water labels in perspective for better illusion.

I like the brighter blues in your original example for the seas and sky as opposed to the darker variation in your Sept. 18th post. It looks like nighttime in that darker version. But the brighter blues do need to be toned down a little bit. Seem a bit dominant on top. You might even try adding a touch of green in it around the coastline to see what happens. Sort of playing a reflection off the land mass coloring scheme. I do however think you need to brighten the major rivers throughout the map to make them pop out more. They are getting lost. I like the blue of the larger lakes and would love to see that brightness applied to the rivers. Your road networks really pop out. Having rivers get about to that level might be worth trying out to see if it works.

Hope the feedback helps! Great work!

Best,

Michael
  • gasparri likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Panoramic Cartography, Music, Art, Guitar
  • Slovenia

Dear Michael,

thank you for a comment. It means a lot from people who are masters in their field witch you definitely are!

I also agree that adding the title would be a great addition to the map. But this is a great encroachment on it. And it is very difficult to find a "universal font" that has a very neutral impact on a different customers (children, senior people, local people, cartographers,..)
I add compass rose usually when the map is facing anywhere but north. But if I add the title then compass rose would be on map, definitely. Maybe in next edition.

Unfortunately I do not work whit inDesign. All vector files are made in Corel Draw. I try to put all text in outline, but it is not working because interference in panorama is to big. So I did outline just to major cities in region, 17 cities this is. Top water labels are corrected but Corel does not give me a lot options for setting perspective.

Thank you for the advice on the sky and coastline, both the advices I took. Biggest rivers will be managed in the next correction because I have to expand them, and this also pulls behind a small roads that goes near them and I will have to move them manually, one by one. I also thought that I could bring the 7 biggest rivers in photoshop and then colored it (like biggest lakes). But with that action I lose the sharpness.
I did something whit border, I just added shadow around so that the Germany pop out a little bit. And the names of countries are in new font.

The link below is last corrected version, this will also be a front picture for amazon.de . I hope that they approve my site before the NY.

https://plus.google....899677740834097

I apologize for my English, if someone does not understand me, please ask, I will try harder to answer.

Thank you Michael again,

and I wish you all a pleasant holidays!

Bojan

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Bojan,

I'm so curious to see your map corrections now, but unable to connect to that Google photo link you provided. I get an unforbidden error message.

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Hey Michael,

Im sorry I did not know that I have set my album on private. Here is new link.
Please tell me if you have any remarks on this version. (besides rivers that will come in next correction)

Best, Bojan

https://plus.google....127795153?hl=sl

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Hello!

My map was successfully uploaded on amazon.de. For start is available only in dimension 134 cm x 97 cm and it is printed on 250g paper (thickness of carton), offset print.

In the next few days will be also available in the dimensions of 190 x 120 cm printed on canvas in very high resolution!

Hope you like it!

AMAZON.DE

Best,

Bojan

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Hello CartoTalk users,

it has been a long time since my last post. A lot of new things has happened in the meantime. I would like to keep you updated.

Let me start with the end. I am working on a new project that is panoramic map of Germany with the view to the south. In the last months It has been a lot of hard work with Alps. I will atached only the lower part of map, which will also be avaliable as a separate map. It is still needs a lot of work till the desired result.

In the begining of the year I dedicated my time to other favorite thing, makeing music. I recorded two new songs and filmed both videos for my protegee Ana. I did practicaly everything except underwater footage.

Ana Soklic - Hello

Ana Soklic - Stairway with diamonds

Enyoj :) I will keep you posted whit my new panoramas, when will be finished. Please fell free to comment,

Regards, Bojan

Attached Files

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Here is the complete panorama of Germany - view to the south. I will send you more once I finish content and do the color correction.

Regards, Bojan

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished version.

• gasparri likes this
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Hello,

As promised, a map of Germany - view to the South has been completed. Today or tomorrow it will be available at amazon.de in 100 x 140 cm size.

Also in amazon.de will be avaliable panoramic map of German land, Bavarian.

Both maps are attached below.

Currently Im working on a panoramic map of Croatia. More about this map in a new topic.

All the best, Bojan

Attached Files

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Looks fantastic, good luck!

• gasparri likes this
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Finally, amazon approved our new maps.

Germany is selling very well. We expect the same from Germany-South and Bavaria. Already the first day there was a lot of interest!

Here are the links:

GERMANY-SOUTH

BAVARIAN

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Slovenia

Hi,

Yesterday I prepared a folded map of Germany. It is made for the needs of corporate gifts.

I attach you a picture of first and the last page.

Have a nice day, Bojan

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->