gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Panoramic Cartography, Music, Art, Guitar
  • Slovenia

Hello enthusiasts of cartography!

It's been a while since I last had the opportunity to acquaint you with my work. In the last three years, I dedicated all of my time and knowledge to make new panoramic map of Germany.

First something about inspiration.
Drawing inspiration I got from Mr. H.C. Berann. Mr. Berann is probably the highest authority in the field of panoramic cartography. Many solutions for making my map I got from his work. In all that time, three years, I realized the way how he "cheated" to get the right panoramic forms of hills and the Alps in general.

Now, something about my work process.
As a starting point I took classic cartographic map (1:50.000) and began to refine it with software, which is the most suitable for this kind of work - Photoshop. I wanted to achieve something that seems to me is the future of cartography in general. To combine cartographic accuracy and panoramic view in one map. This I succeeded, at least vertical measure corresponds to a cartographic map scale 1:50,000.
Map is drawn in several layers. I separated forests, valleys, cities, alps, so that each of the layers could later be color corrected. This gives me almost endless possibilities of coloring the map.
Lakes, rivers, roads, names and border I have made in a vector program because they had to be more precise.

I wish to receive many of your suggestions, opinions and reviews about my project. Your comments mean the most to me and I'll be happy to take them into account :)
Best regards,
Bojan Simoncic

Attached File  Nemcija_mala_x.jpg   765.28KB   632 downloads

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Cool and interesting. I don't think the clouds as you have them here work on this map scale. They just seem out of scale with such a large geographic extent.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Nice! Very nice! I draw several panoramas and I can imagine that a lot of work has been putted in this kind of panorama. Can you post a detailed section of this immense work?

Suggestion: Put sea labels into perspective. They look somehow disconnected from panorama.

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • United States

It's a very attractive and impressive map. Richard Edes Harrison (1901-1994) was very well known for his perspective maps and his work is still widely admired. You might want to look at http://www.fulltable.../map/reh/12.jpg and http://www.fulltable.../map/reh/13.jpg (two frames from one map). One thing I like is his use of a faint graticule of meridians and parallels, which gives a greater sense of perspective.

While the light horizon is of course realistic, I believe that Harrison's use of darkening toward the horizon actually tends to produce a better sense of depth. It seems rather incongruous that your land darkens in the distance but your sea becomes brighter.

http://www.philip-ri...-edes-harrison/ also gives some things to think about.

I agree also that printing the labels, particularly in the sea areas, in perspective improves the illusion.

Good luck with your project.
Will O'Neil
Author and amateur cartographer

http://analysis.williamdoneil.com/w.d.oneil@pobox.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Gorgeous - congratulations on the good work!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Slovenia

Thank you for your compliments, especially I'm glad to see some constructive criticism. Proposal to put sea labels into perspective seems excellent to me and I will consider it.
Clouds are made as a compromise because of our perception of space. And they are not in scale, correct.
Dark horizon is a result of our perception of light. However here I have some thoughts about how to finish it.
Mr. Herrison's work is excellent, even more if you follow the time in which he was making these outstanding maps. However, I derive more from the painting as a cartographic area. I think this to areas need to be brought more closer together.

Currently I preparing a map for use in the German school system. Therefore, I reduced some of the content on map and take away some color contrast so that signs came more to the fore. I realize that map will lost some of color depth, but the panorama is always about weigh between functional usability and first impression. Map will be published in the dimension of 140 x 190 cm, will be printed on canvas and equipped with wooden or aluminum slats. I also have to make a legend witch I’ll probably put in the bottom of map.
Below I attach a detail. In short time I also plan to have a website where will be images in higher resolutions, here I am unfortunately limited to 1Mb: (
Please continue with constructive criticism :) All the best,
Bojan

Attached Files

Igor Brejc

Igor Brejc

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Slovenia

Below I attach a detail. In short time I also plan to have a website where will be images in higher resolutions, here I am unfortunately limited to 1Mb: (
Please continue with constructive criticism :) All the best,
Bojan

No criticism from me, great work, Bojan!

BTW for large bitmaps I usually post them to flickr, there's no size limit there. Example: http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
Igor Brejc
author of Maperitive, an OSM-based mapmaking software

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

I think it's really nice. I like the bright colors. The clouds give a nice ending focal point, too.

I'd love to see a nicely designed title with it, and maybe a border.
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Slovenia

Does anyone have an idea what kind of paint should I use to make it more interesting for general audience?

Today I played a bit with colors, but I'm not sure if that is the right way.. Maybe only if the top part stays darker?

Attached Files

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Brilliant work. How long did your process require to produce the map? Is the map for sale online somewhere? If so, please share the link.

mapfax

mapfax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

I also think the map is brilliant! I would only suggest that you make the country labels larger and consider letter spacing country type. This would help make the country type more different from the largest city type. Are you planning to label DEUTSCHLAND on the map (I could not find it)?

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • United States

I can imagine that schoolchildren would find your map absolutely fascinating. I'm sure many will want to spend hours just tracing out all its details. My congratulations to the schools that are wise enough to want it.
Will O'Neil
Author and amateur cartographer

http://analysis.williamdoneil.com/w.d.oneil@pobox.com

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Slovenia

Thank you guys! All together it took me 3 years. First year I started with 2 maps at the same time. Also Germany but facing south. However I than decided that I would do just north one.
Maybe I`ll finish it someday :)

The labels are still in construction. This is also the last stage, after that it will be possible to buy it online.
I`ll be happy to take all your suggestions into account. Thank you again!

Attached Files

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Slovenia

In recent days I have set my own website, where you can also view other works in the last twenty years of making panoramic maps. Hope you like it :)

http://studio-panorama.eu/

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Great Work!!! I like it very much.
Congratulations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->