4 replies to this topic

Nichodemus

Nichodemus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Hi. Could somebody get me pointed in the right direction as to how to place road shields in MAPublisher. My map is small, and its just a handful of symbols needing placement, so I can do it manually. In ArcMap I would use the Data Deja View symbols, by placing a marker point and changing its symbol to the appropriate marker (I-85, state route 40, etc). I had symbol styles set up, and the appropriate fonts are in my windows/fonts directory.

I really like the DDV symbols, they always worked really well on my maps. Now I'm using MAPublisher, and I don't know where to begin. Any advice to get me going would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi. Could somebody get me pointed in the right direction as to how to place road shields in MAPublisher. My map is small, and its just a handful of symbols needing placement, so I can do it manually. In ArcMap I would use the Data Deja View symbols, by placing a marker point and changing its symbol to the appropriate marker (I-85, state route 40, etc). I had symbol styles set up, and the appropriate fonts are in my windows/fonts directory.

I really like the DDV symbols, they always worked really well on my maps. Now I'm using MAPublisher, and I don't know where to begin. Any advice to get me going would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you have the LabelPro extension you can opt to label lines with road shields (there's a bunch of predefined ones included, including US Interstate, US highway and state-specific shields).

Other than that, there's an option to draw a shape around text objects in the Text Utilities, but this is pretty much limited to a simple rectangle.

Another option is the "Draw Anchor Point for Text", also in Text Utilities. This does place the point offset, but that's easily fixed. You can then replace the symbol with the shield of your preference. This way you don't need Label Pro.

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nichodemus

Nichodemus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

If you have the LabelPro extension you can opt to label lines with road shields (there's a bunch of predefined ones included, including US Interstate, US highway and state-specific shields).

Other than that, there's an option to draw a shape around text objects in the Text Utilities, but this is pretty much limited to a simple rectangle.

Another option is the "Draw Anchor Point for Text", also in Text Utilities. This does place the point offset, but that's easily fixed. You can then replace the symbol with the shield of your preference. This way you don't need Label Pro.

Hope this helps.

This was helpful. I figured out how to run LabelPro, and I can get my state shields labeled with a highway number inside, but I have had a lot of trouble getting the shield size and the text size correct, and they are all still getting placed on the suppression layer. Not a big deal for this map, but I'll have to look into that more. Thanks for your assistance.

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

Why not contact our very capable and always accessible Technical Support folks?
support@avenza.com or 416-487-6442
Ted

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

Avenza

Avenza

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

I think that perhaps you are seeking a simple solutions. There are a few different ways to do this, one of which has already been pointed out to you via Label Pro. However if you are simply looking for a quick way to replace existing symbols it can be done using a couple of methods the first being quick and easy if only needing to replace some to the same symbol type.
If you had imported point data and wish top replace the default symbol "black dot" you can do so easily through Illustrator for a quick change. Open the Illustrator symbol panel where you will see the existing black symbol (MAPublisher default symbol). If you want to replace all of them with another symbol contained in the panel hold the Alt key while dragging and dropping another symbol onto it. Once released the symbols will be replaced with the updated version.

To assign multiple symbols to differing point types/classes you would want to create a Stylesheet using the MAPublisher Map Themes function. Using the Edit Stylesheet Theme dialog you can create rules and expressions which allow you to assign Illustrator symbols to associated map data based on attribute data and then Apply them. For more information on Stylesheets please see pages 183 of the User Guide or contact Avenza support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->