6 replies to this topic

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

Interesting website on information graphics, lots of historical examples.

http://www.historyshots.com/

-Tom

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

They have put together a nice informational rich package of posters.

I like their flash-zoomie thing for their PGA Golf poster.

I wonder if that is Zoomify or something else?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Nice site, thanks for posting that up. They seem to have really interesting themes for their posters.

Seems like it is just a simple flash script to zoom in. Although Zoomify is a very cool utility though.

LarryG

LarryG

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

This is Larry Gormley one of the founders of HistoryShots. The original zoom tool was indeed a simple flash script. We just upgraded our site (June 1) and we're now using Zoomify (to see example: http://www.historysh...rties/index.cfm then click on Zoom).

Thanks

Larry

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Larry, your site is awesome! I am always amazed when people take areas of interest, merge them together, and create a unique outcome...

Have you seen visualcomplexity.com? Although a completely different content subject, as a map buff you may be interested.

One map I would really really really like to see is the original telegraph network in the United States... even better, at various points during its growth. In my opinion, that was the an important beginning of the Internet.

This is Larry Gormley one of the founders of HistoryShots. The original zoom tool was indeed a simple flash script. We just upgraded our site (June 1) and we're now using Zoomify (to see example: http://www.historysh...rties/index.cfm then click on Zoom).

Thanks

Larry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LarryG

LarryG

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Ben
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I've seen visualcomplexity.com, a fantastic site both in terms of content and layout. It's going to be interesting to see how he evolves the site.

Neat idea of the telegraph map. I think there are a number of networks that could be mapped against time that would be interesting...

Larry

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

I had found a few maps on the NYPL Digital Gallery. Not sure if these links will work:

Not specific, but contains telegraph lines
http://digitalgaller...12&pNum=&pos=1#

Actually, just realized the other ones were on DavidRumsey.com ... he has a huge collection of historical maps. If you go in to the insight Browser on the site, and search for "telegraph", a few AT&T maps from the 1890s will come up!

Ben
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I've seen visualcomplexity.com, a fantastic site both in terms of content and layout. It's going to be interesting to see how he evolves the site.

Neat idea of the telegraph map. I think there are a number of networks that could be mapped against time that would be interesting...

Larry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->