• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

skitterm

skitterm

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am currently finishing up a BS in Geography with a GIS emphasis. I love cartography and wish to pursue this further. what schools in the United States (or Canada or England, for that matter) have cartography master's programs, or at least geography programs with a strong cartographic design angle? I've heard of Penn State, but I don't know about any others.

Thanks.

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United States

I can strongly recommend University of Oregon (my alma mater). Although Bill Loy ("one of the country's most influential teachers of cartography, mentoring a number of students who went on to carve out distinguished professional careers as mapmakers" - AAG obituary), who I studied under, has since passed on, the department still has a very strong program.

The weather is better in Eugene than State College, too ;)
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

beetle

beetle

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

I am currently finishing up a BS in Geography with a GIS emphasis. I love cartography and wish to pursue this further. what schools in the United States (or Canada or England, for that matter) have cartography master's programs, or at least geography programs with a strong cartographic design angle? I've heard of Penn State, but I don't know about any others.

Thanks.

This appeared in a google search:

http://www.universit...artography.html

manofthewild07

manofthewild07

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I'll throw out there, Michigan State University. They've got a large and top notch geography department...

cartograph1978

cartograph1978

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • India

Hi, I was searching for university giving masters degree in Cartography that I came onto this post. I don't know if its the right place to ask, for master programs in Cartography in Europe. Any ideas?

ginapaola

ginapaola

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Colombia

You should check out International Master of Science in Cartography; a joint program between the technical universities of Munich, Vienna, and Dresden. The entire program cost just under $2000 (even if you are a foreigner!) and is entirely taught in English. 

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I got mine from the University of Arkansas.  Dr. Thomas Paradise would be the person you would speak with.

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
-->