4 replies to this topic

RiSuther

RiSuther

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Canada

So I have to include the attached object on a back cover of a book and it's awful. I have no choice. This is what it needs to be. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve - even slightly - on this terrible thing? Even tiny little improvements would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of is to rearrange the symbols in a more regular pattern.

Attached Files

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

It is hard to see in that little image - but do you need that level of detail? The color scheme looks quite bland too... !
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

RiSuther

RiSuther

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Canada

It is hard to see in that little image - but do you need that level of detail? The color scheme looks quite bland too... !

Thanks Frax. Yeah my hands are really tied on this one. I'm not the project manager so I have no control over colour, symbols or anything else. I'm just on layout and I've been asked to replace the back cover with this hot mess. I've tried making the placement of symbols more regular using a radial grid (result attached).

Ta'

Attached Files

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Where did this image come from? It looks suspiciously like a MapMobility product, so there may be copyright issues to look at.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Give us a little more background. What kind of book is this? Why is the map on the back? Is it supposed to serve as a legend, tell readers where elements of the story take place, or what? If you have to use the map and symbology exactly as is, what exactly are you asking us?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->