Photo

Please help: Attributes disappear but Fields remain after clipping in ArcMap 9.3

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Neal P. Sharma

Neal P. Sharma

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Hello CartoTalk,

I have a question which has surpassed my knowledge for troubleshooting. I am trying to perform a simple clip of one shapefile (soils data) to an outline of a certain area in ArcMap 9.3, but when I complete the process the data seems to disappear. When I open the attribute table I can still see the correct Fields from the source shapefile, but all of the attributes are missing. I have made sure both shapefiles are in the same projection and double checked that I am not absent-mindedly switching the Input Features and Clip Features. I have done this many times before and have never encountered this problem.

Would anyone here be so kind as to share any ideas for how to remedy this?

Sincerely,
Neal P. Sharma

Neal P. Sharma

Neal P. Sharma

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Hello CartoTalk,

I have a question which has surpassed my knowledge for troubleshooting. I am trying to perform a simple clip of one shapefile (soils data) to an outline of a certain area in ArcMap 9.3, but when I complete the process the data seems to disappear. When I open the attribute table I can still see the correct Fields from the source shapefile, but all of the attributes are missing. I have made sure both shapefiles are in the same projection and double checked that I am not absent-mindedly switching the Input Features and Clip Features. I have done this many times before and have never encountered this problem.

Would anyone here be so kind as to share any ideas for how to remedy this?

Sincerely,
Neal P. Sharma

A colleague of mine ran the clip on ArcMap 10 and had no problems at all. Hmm. While I am glad to have the data that I need, I am still curious to know anyone's thoughts who may have run into this. It seems quite curious.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Could it be that any of the datasets has dirty topology?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Neal P. Sharma

Neal P. Sharma

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Could it be that any of the datasets has dirty topology?

Frax,

Thank you very much for providing your thought.

It could be, but I obtained the data from a trusted source at a local government. Would it be possible for ArcMap 10 to process data with dirty topology whereas 9.3 would fumble?

Neal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->