4 replies to this topic

cyberic68

cyberic68

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi

I'm trying to import in google earth pro, more than 5000 line segments compose from (X, Y) lon/lat coordinates. So for each line segment I am having 2 lon/lat coordinate.

I want those line segments be represented a straight line in Google Earth Pro. So I probably need to convert them into vector ??? Correct me if i'm wrong?

Any one has a idea how to process andhow to cenvert multiple records in once?

Here's an example of my data

Line_Segment_Name From_Lon From_Lat To_Lon To_Lat
Line Segment A -66.9397 47.9746 -66.7737 47.9848
Line Segment B -66.9397 47.9746 -66.7027 48.0352
Line Segment C -66.9397 47.9746 -67.0392 48.028

Thanks

Cyberic68

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

How do you have the data - is it in a text file or database? I find the easiest is to create the KML file from scratch (using something like python). That would give you most control over the output.

To get a template for what you want - create a dummy file in GE and export it as KML, then modify it and use it as a template.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

cyberic68

cyberic68

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

How do you have the data - is it in a text file or database? I find the easiest is to create the KML file from scratch (using something like python). That would give you most control over the output.

To get a template for what you want - create a dummy file in GE and export it as KML, then modify it and use it as a template.

My data is stored in an Access database, but I can easily move it to Excel spreadsheet or a text file without a problem, but I wasn't able able to find on the net any formula that will convert multiple from / to coordinates (lon/lat) into straight line.

Thanks

Cyberic68

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Better to plot the xy data as line work, i have done that this earlier for routing assignment using autocad, its works well..try.

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

If you have access to ArcGIS, you can use their Points to Line tool (link for add-on script, though I think it's standard in the latest version 10.1). Just see that each vector has a unique identifier (maybe your Line_Segment_Name already does that?), and the tool can construct a unique line for each unique identifier, using the vertices that belong to that identifier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->