5 replies to this topic

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

I have created a map and am looking at it in Layout View. It is a county level dot density map, nothing complex. Underneath the dots I have created colored circles showing clusters. I want the colored circles underneath the dots so the dots will be on top. On the screen I can see the circles under the dots and they look fabulous. However, when I got to print preview or try to export, the Data Frame is not hollow causing the circles to disappear. All of my symbols are hollow so that whatever is underneath will show through. The Data Frame frame is also set to Hollow but when exporting or printing it doesn't show up as such. I want the Data Frame on top of the colored circles but I can't figure out how to make the Data Frame Hollow. Please advise, this is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

This happens if there is anything that causes the data to be rasterized on output. Things that can cause rasterization of output include raster data, transparency, picture symbols.

To get around this limitation you have a few options:
1. make sure there is nothing causing rasterization on output
or
2. put the circles inside the data frame as data, which could then be set to draw underneath the point features
or
3. put the circles inside the data frame as graphics and convert the dot density features to graphics, which can be set to draw above the graphic circles (if they're both inside the data frame).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

Ok, I converted the dots to graphics and that created its own Annotation group. I then moved the county base to the background and moved the circles forward. How do I then put the Annotation Group (which is now the dots) on top of the circles? Thanks.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I am not familiar with this problem and I am not sure I completely understand the problem - but it seems like you have created colored circles as graphic elements that you have placed unerneath the data frame.

It also sounds like you have set the 'background' in the 'frame' tab for the data frame properties to hollow - but on export/print it is covering the graphic circles you created. You could try and set the border to <none> and see if that works - or another workaround would be to turn the graphic circles into data (shapefiles) and that might work too.

For a link to some cool clustering algorithms I just used an extension from spatialecology.com (Hawth's analysis tools). The Kernal Density Estimation function produced some nice circles from clustered data.

It also sounds like you could finish this up in Illustrator/Freehand/Corel quite nicely.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Can you post up a picture of it? I think it will help forum members visualize the problem.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Ok, I converted the dots to graphics and that created its own Annotation group.  I then moved the county base to the background and moved the circles forward.  How do I then put the Annotation Group (which is now the dots) on top of the circles?  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as I know there is no way to rearrange the order of annotation groups through the user interface, although it might be possible with code. I believe they draw in the order created.

So you should put the circles in first (I would create a new annotation group for this and not just put them in the default group). Then convert the dot density layer to graphics. The dot density graphics should come out on top that way.

Alternatively, if you put the circles AND dots density graphics in the same annotation group you can use the Send to Back/Bring to Front commands to arrange the drawing order any way you want.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->