lc500

lc500

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello,

I am trying to make an online interactive map with two main features 1) the ability to create my own design for the layout and 2) the ability for users to 'input' locations on the map.

I've tried using an arcgis online global account i have access to but I can't as far as I can see; create my own fromat for how i want to present stuff. Also, I can only upload shapefiles with max 2000 fields at a time. And, there is also no interactive feature that allows other users to input locations.

I hear arcgis 10.1 allows users to input locations. Does anyone know more about this? I am basically seeking ways to use arcgis 10.1, arcgis online, google earth pro (the tools i have acces to) to create this kind of interactive map, because basically i do not have web dev. skills or money to pay for that.

Thanks!

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

Hello,

I am trying to make an online interactive map with two main features 1) the ability to create my own design for the layout and 2) the ability for users to 'input' locations on the map.

I've tried using an arcgis online global account i have access to but I can't as far as I can see; create my own fromat for how i want to present stuff. Also, I can only upload shapefiles with max 2000 fields at a time. And, there is also no interactive feature that allows other users to input locations.

I hear arcgis 10.1 allows users to input locations. Does anyone know more about this? I am basically seeking ways to use arcgis 10.1, arcgis online, google earth pro (the tools i have acces to) to create this kind of interactive map, because basically i do not have web dev. skills or money to pay for that.

Thanks!

Shapefiles uploaded directly into your Arcgis online map can allow edits by anyone.

lc500

lc500

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • No Country Selected

Yes - arcgis online only allows upload of a limited amount of features - so I need another way to do this.

I've been told that google maps api premier is a possibility as it would both provide more 'server' space as well as some interactivity. Does anyone know more about this?

Hello,

Thanks!

Shapefiles uploaded directly into your Arcgis online map can allow edits by anyone.

antoniolocandro

antoniolocandro

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, Aviation, Travel
  • Honduras

You will need some sort of storage, normally PHP related in order to store the data on a database online and some programming normally in java together with html, I seriously wouldn't pay google for the premium, but that is my personal choice.

Then you can use OpenLayers, Leaflet, etc to render the data

Regards

Yes - arcgis online only allows upload of a limited amount of features - so I need another way to do this.

I've been told that google maps api premier is a possibility as it would both provide more 'server' space as well as some interactivity. Does anyone know more about this?

Hello,

Thanks!

lc500

lc500

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • No Country Selected

thank you so much! unfortunately I am nil with web dev but i've been trying to teach myself. what kind of storage exactly do i need? right now i just have a domain name and a hostgator account; and i've downloaded java jdk and started looking through some examples.

You will need some sort of storage, normally PHP related in order to store the data on a database online and some programming normally in java together with html, I seriously wouldn't pay google for the premium, but that is my personal choice.

Then you can use OpenLayers, Leaflet, etc to render the data

Regards

Hello,

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->