• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

karencowell

karencowell

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello, I'm a new user of the site. I'm a graphic designer by day and to fill my portfolio with a more varied selection of work, I'm working on this map of the Valleys in south Wales.

When I looked at an OS map of Wales, I noticed that the southern roads seemed to be making a heart around the area - with the point at Cardiff and the crease at Merthyr Tydfil. This being so, I stylised a rounded heart. There aren't any roads on there as yet and I would like to see if a river and a high peak could be incorporated.

Let me know what you think, bearing in mind it is a work in progress!

Thank you

Karen

Attached Files

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Cute - also reminds me of an apple. It would be good to know what you are trying to communicate (the message of the map) and to whom. Will this be a tourist map?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

karencowell

karencowell

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Cute - also reminds me of an apple. It would be good to know what you are trying to communicate (the message of the map) and to whom. Will this be a tourist map?

Thank you

Its meant just as a personal project for my portfolio. I'm doing a little bit of research into the towns on there too, to see what they're famous for/famous people/activities local to the area. I saw the apple too when I'd put in what is the A470 between Cardiff and Merthyr.

My inspiration is a very stylised map of Manchester that I recall from memory around 15 years ago where the producer made the map totally circular with concentric circles inside for roads/canals etc - it blew me away.

K

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

It's a neat idea and looks pretty good so far. It could use some more detail, maybe a bit of generalized topography?

At least your map is more tasteful than this one, which had a similar idea with different results: https://twitter.com/...3294208/photo/1

karencowell

karencowell

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

It's a neat idea and looks pretty good so far. It could use some more detail, maybe a bit of generalized topography?

At least your map is more tasteful than this one, which had a similar idea with different results: https://twitter.com/...3294208/photo/1

Oh dear! Unfortunate shape.

Generalised topography? Would this be the addition of contour lines/shapes etc?

Thank you

K

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

By generalized topography I was really thinking of some very light hillshading. But that's a personal decision on something like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->