- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

MapFace

MapFace

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hello, new to the board. Hopefully I'll be a frequent visitor!

I've come in search of roadway data. Particularly rural roadways. I'm trying to mock up a proof of concept. I would like a national set but at this point any US location would be nice.

Attributes that I'm interested are:

Roadway Type
Roadway slope (grade)
Roadway Curvature
Lane width
Shoulder width
Super elevations (banking)
Speed Limit

Does anyone know an agency that provides this in a Shapefile, KML, etc.

Thanks you in advance.

Edited by MapFace, 08 July 2012 - 10:42 PM.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Have you looked at OpenStreetMap? It wouldn't have all those variables though, I doubt that you would be able to find that...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

You might poke around on various state DOT websites to see what datasets they make available. In particular, I was surprised to discover that Colorado offers speed limit as an attribute in one of its datasets. Of course, this is likely to only cover state-maintained highways. In Virginia, nearly all public roads are part of the state highway network, so that might be a possibility, You might also look at large relatively well-off suburban or exurban counties around the country: Orange County, Calif.; King Co., Wash.; Jefferson Co., Colo.; Travis Co., Tex.; Hennepin Co., Minn.; Westchester Co., N.Y.; Montgomery Co., Md.; Charlotte-Mecklenburg, N.C. After decades of intense secrecy, Cook County, Illinois, now has an enormous data portal.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Greetings MapFace,

I do not think you will find a free national dataset with all the attributes you mentioned. I don't even think the big network shops (TeleAtlas, NavTeq) have all those attributes and if they did, you would have to pay quite a few shekels.

I think it might be possible to get type and speed on a local dataset then calc elevation, but I have never come across a road network with super elevations. Curvature and lane/shoulder width seem to be likely attributes from a CAD environment. You might have better luck starting with TIGER and adding attributes for your Proof of Concept. Here is a link to a regional street centerline dataset for the Portland region.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

MapFace

MapFace

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I was surprised to discover that Colorado offers speed limit as an attribute in one of its datasets

I looked at Colorado and found a lot of great stuff. Thanks! The one thing I couldn't find is the speed limit information. Do you know where it might be?

Thanks in advance.

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

I was surprised to discover that Colorado offers speed limit as an attribute in one of its datasets

I looked at Colorado and found a lot of great stuff. Thanks! The one thing I couldn't find is the speed limit information. Do you know where it might be?

Thanks in advance.

Check Cloudemade datas also, they may be of use to you.

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->