6 replies to this topic

kd.fischer

kd.fischer

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi,
My name is Kelly Fischer, I'm 25 and an aspiring cartographer located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I've been enrolled in numerous GIS related courses at the University of Calgary, and am continuing this through S.A.I.T. I find GIS interesting, but it's with the Cartographic aspects that drive my passion. To me, it is the perfect mix of Art and Science.

I've had the pleasure of doing a small batch of freelance work, and stretched my skills as best I can within the confines of class labs and assignments. I really enjoy looking at other's maps so to try and absorb ideas and methods.

I wish there was something more obvious on where to learn *Cartography* and not just GIS (as I'm sure we're all aware it's slim pickings for a formal education in this field without running into GIS).

I'm open to any advice what-so-ever. Ideas on Schools (anywhere in the world), ways to hone skills, colour theory ideas, career routes, critique, etc. I'm looking for help within the community to gain a further foundation in my knowledge.

Thank you all for your time, and I look forward to getting to know the community :)

Kelly

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Welcome, Kelly.

You're right about the scarcity of college/university courses in cartography. I don't know if it's possible to do some kind of independent studies, with credit? There are various books available that can help if you are up to a bit of self-study (with or without credit). For cartographic design you might also consider posting some of your maps here and taking in any feedback.

Depending in where you see you career going you might also consider some courses in areas that many of us might never have thought of, such as design or other non-carto-specific art classes, business and marketing/managing a small business/freelance career, courses in other fields where you might want to apply your cartographic skills such as environmental studies or whatever the case may be.

Good luck!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

kd.fischer

kd.fischer

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello Mr. Barnes,
Thank you for your reply! I never thought of a independent or self study, but that's a fantastic idea! I'm meeting with a cartography professor later this summer to discuss some ideas about progressing in the field and I will bring up that idea!
I'll keep up the research and I hope to learn a lot from this site and fellow map buffs!
Thank you again!
Kelly

Welcome, Kelly.

You're right about the scarcity of college/university courses in cartography. I don't know if it's possible to do some kind of independent studies, with credit? There are various books available that can help if you are up to a bit of self-study (with or without credit). For cartographic design you might also consider posting some of your maps here and taking in any feedback.

Depending in where you see you career going you might also consider some courses in areas that many of us might never have thought of, such as design or other non-carto-specific art classes, business and marketing/managing a small business/freelance career, courses in other fields where you might want to apply your cartographic skills such as environmental studies or whatever the case may be.

Good luck!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

LOL "Mr. Barnes" (that's my dad)
We're not so formal. Call me Dave. :)

I remember what it was like trying to find any cartography courses when I was in school (not that long ago!). Good luck!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

I make legends.

I make legends.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • United States

Hello,

If you're adventurous and have the means and the unrestricted lifestyle, this looks like a very new program for cartography. It's a master's program, but it might be worth knowing about for when you get to that point. Looks like an amazing experience... in 3 cities in Germany!

http://www.cartographymaster.eu/

P.S. I am also drawn to cartography, and have always been, due to it being a type of art. There's a lot of talk about traditional maps being "dead," but if you consider the source of the talk, it's almost always got something to do with Google. I think there's a lot of space left for the making of maps - especially since area street maps are only one segment of the map market. (Maybe I'm idealistic. Maybe it's because I don't have a smart phone. Maybe it's because I continue to come up with new ideas for a fusion type of product that caters more to the art consumer than the map user. I don't know.) Keep looking, and consider a very well-rounded mapping curriculum, just to CYA!

Sarah Miller

Sarah Miller

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

kd.fischer: Welcome!

IMakeLegends: That masters program looks phenomenal! Thank you for sharing. My only concern is how strict they are about undergraduate course of study (I'm running into this in other programs in Germany: They don't seem to understand Liberal Arts colleges).

Dave: Do you have any books in particular you would recommend to someone looking to do an independent study course in cartography?

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

This topic has some good recommendations. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->