- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

sample

sample

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Bikes. Flannel Shirts. Corduroy shirts. Napping in Hammocks.<br />Gin and Tonics. Manhattans. White Russians. Hoppy Ales.<br />NYtimes. Growing Things. Water Colors. Riding in Cars.
  • United States

A few things
If you are trying to highlight rebel control, I would make the "never-controlled" category an open circle; the currently-colored-black circles are the heaviest thing on the page.

Secondly, I would keep all city dots the same size, then I would add a thin black-stroked larger circle (centered on the dot) to indicate population.

Lastly, all of your type is unnecessarily large; by decreasing the size you can obviously do away with much awkward label placement
See attached.

Attached File  Screen_Shot_2012_08_13_at_4.59.02_AM.png   69.89KB   22 downloads

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Daraa in the south appears to be a slightly darker red than the rest of the red cities.

It would be better to use that shade of red for the rest of the red cities. It stands out much better. The other red cities easily get lost in the red areas.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

GeoEvan

GeoEvan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Geography, linguistics, wildlife
  • Taiwan

Daraa in the south appears to be a slightly darker red than the rest of the red cities.

Thanks! I missed Daraa - the dark red was from the old symbology.
Writer and cartographer for Political Geography Now.

GeoEvan

GeoEvan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Taiwan

A few things
If you are trying to highlight rebel control, I would make the "never-controlled" category an open circle; the currently-colored-black circles are the heaviest thing on the page.

Secondly, I would keep all city dots the same size, then I would add a thin black-stroked larger circle (centered on the dot) to indicate population.

Lastly, all of your type is unnecessarily large; by decreasing the size you can obviously do away with much awkward label placement
See attached.

Attached File  Screen_Shot_2012_08_13_at_4.59.02_AM.png   69.89KB   22 downloads

Thanks for the ideas, and very nice mock-up! I appreciate the effort. Your design is indeed very clean, though to my eyes a bit sterile (great for an academic paper, not ideal for my blog). The black-stroked circles for population are a good idea, but not as intuitive to me. I do like the general suggestion of reducing the text size. I'll experiment a little with that.

GeoEvan

GeoEvan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Taiwan

It would be better to use that shade of red for the rest of the red cities. It stands out much better. The other red cities easily get lost in the red areas.

Thanks! I'll try this too. Sometimes I'm surprised what things I never think of. :-)

GeoEvan

GeoEvan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Taiwan

Alright, here's the most recent draft. I reduced the size of the largest two fonts (a subtle effect, but an improvement I think) and also changed the color of the red dots to a darker red (in between the original and the dark red from before - I felt the latter was a bit too dull).

Attached File  syria_uprising_2012_8_X_v3.png   155.85KB   27 downloads

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

I think it continues to look better and better. Great job!
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

I think it continues to look better and better. Great job!

Agreed.
(it's getting harder to find any "faults". :) )
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

GeoEvan

GeoEvan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Taiwan

Thanks so much for the encouragement and all the help! The final published version of this map update is published on my site now: Syrian Uprising Map: August 2012 (#6)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->