• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Golf_Whiskey

Golf_Whiskey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello!

I have two shapefiles with polygons in different areas of the country. I am trying to combine these two files into one shapefile so that I don't have to open both of them to look at data. How do I do this?

Thanks for the help!

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

Hello!

I have two shapefiles with polygons in different areas of the country. I am trying to combine these two files into one shapefile so that I don't have to open both of them to look at data. How do I do this?

Thanks for the help!

Use a GIS tool to combine the data into one. You can use -append to combine layers with ogr2ogr (http://gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html), or use the same functionality in Quantum GIS if you don't like the command line, or use Manifold and copy / paste between Drawings and then export to a new shapefile. It really depends what tools you have at hand and what you can get hold of. What operating system are you on and what do you usually use to view the shapefile data?

You'll have to ensure that the data are in the same coordinate system, or that you or the tools handle that correctly, and that you can sensibly merge the attributes from each shapefile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->