• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

CorBean

CorBean

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello,

I just graduated with my BS in Geography: GIS Emphasis in April 2012 and barely started a GIS job, dealing mainly with fiber optic networks, which I really enjoy. I loved my Cartographic Design classes and am glad to join in on the conversations here on this site.

My major career goal is to do GIS/Cartography work in disaster mapping and Emergency Management . I have two questions:

1. Does anybody know of job titles and/or organizations/businesses besides FEMA, in the United States, where I can seek this type of work?

2. If you had my career goals, would you get a Master's Degree in GIS OR Homeland Security: Geospatial Intelligence (both through Penn State)?

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

CorBean

GeoEvan

GeoEvan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Geography, linguistics, wildlife
  • Taiwan

Welcome, Corbean!

I'm new here too, so hopefully the others can help answer some of your questions, but it's great to see how many other new people are joining the site. I'm looking forward to participating more in the future as well.

Doesn't "geospatial intelligence" mean using satellites to collect data on other countries and people (i.e. spying)? Doesn't sound that closely related to disaster management. But who am I to say what looks good on a resume.... :-)

Cheers!
Writer and cartographer for Political Geography Now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->