Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hi,

Haven't seen any postings on this yet. ArcWeb explorer looks to be ESRIs' answer to google maps and other similar web delivery mapping applications.
It is based on Macromedia Flash and has a relatively simple interface, with alot of the vector data and marker symbols looking similar to that of google maps anyway.

Anyhow check it out, always good to see what these companies are doing each time they try to out do one another. Personally I quite like the look of it and it is easy to use. One thing I have found though and which is probably due to the product being a Beta release is that for Australia a number of locations in the find tool are wrong (I haven't looked much else where yet). One example I can give with absolute confidence is the location of "Adaminaby" in Australia. The ESRI database has a 50 or so year old record of the location, which since that has been moved about 15 - 20kms for the construction of Eucumbene dam as part of the Snowy Mountains scheme.

Follow the link if you want to check it out
ArcWeb Explorer

Thanks
Andrew

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

...and ESRI is still using the same basic map color palette since the original IMS, which is VERY similar to the one I originally designed for MSN maps. The original IMS colors were so close that some of the RGB values were only off by one digit.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->