Photo

Various Social Perception - Appreciation of maps.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Canada

I was wondering if anyone has come across any studies regarding the perception-appreciation of maps of existing societies?. The reason I ask is from a very localized business (and non scientifically corroborated) point of view English speaking Canadians seem more enthused about maps then French speaking Canadians. Maybe something cultural? Any other observations from other parts of the world?

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

No study to cite, but I first discovered this working in New Mexico. The Hispanic community there—even local governments—just didn't seem to have the same tradition of map usage and reference that I was used to in other parts of the country.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Michael Schmeling

Michael Schmeling

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Germany

I have "The Moody Atlas of Bible Lands" by Barry J. Beitzel. In the preface he writes that "our product design studies indicated that three out of four users of a Bible atlas are males". This is strange. Normally women are more frequent church-goers than men, why are they less interested in maps?
Michael Schmeling
Kassel, Germany
Arid Ocean Map Illustrations
http://maps.aridocean.com
Indie Cartographer
http://www.indiecartographer.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

We recently sent to press a set of walking/biking maps targeting hispanic (youth) in an area of the region that is over 50% hispanic and one thing we learned is that the Hispanic culture (generally and relatively) don't use maps as much as the English culture. This led to some interesting cartographic insights.

How do you make maps for folks who don't use them?

I think there are strong socio-cultural associations with map use and literacy. I've heard swiss children are breast-fed isopleth appreciation! :lol:

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->