8 replies to this topic

Brian Moran

Brian Moran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • United States

I know of 2 solutions to finding magnetic declination from true north at a given point on the earth: using the ArcGIS Production Mapping extension tool "Magnetic Calculator", or typing the coordinates into the NOAA online tool.

I have over 100 points I need to calculate this for, so I would prefer not to type each one into the online tool. And I do not have access to the Production Mapping extension, except through a remote Citrix connection environment, in which it throws an error every time and severely raises my blood pressure. I have no idea why such a tool isn't available within the stock Cartography toolbox in ArcGIS... it seems like a pretty basic function.

Anyone know of other options?

Strebe

Strebe

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

I have no idea why such a tool isn't available within the stock Cartography toolbox in ArcGIS... it seems like a pretty basic function.

I know of no other option. Magnetic declination changes (slowly) over time and is not calculable in the large. Hence it is no surprise there is no (static) tools to deal with it.

Regards,
— daan Strebe

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

You could create a little script that uses that NOAA online service and queries and parses for each point in your data. You can send me a private message if you would like a quote for me to set this up for you!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Michael Schmeling

Michael Schmeling

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Germany

There is some software for Python and Javascript that claims to calculate magnetic declination:

geomag
Michael Schmeling
Kassel, Germany
Arid Ocean Map Illustrations
http://maps.aridocean.com
Indie Cartographer
http://www.indiecartographer.com

Brian Moran

Brian Moran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • United States

I have no idea why such a tool isn't available within the stock Cartography toolbox in ArcGIS... it seems like a pretty basic function.

I know of no other option. Magnetic declination changes (slowly) over time and is not calculable in the large. Hence it is no surprise there is no (static) tools to deal with it.

Regards,
— daan Strebe

Thanks. I'm pretty sure the tool in the Production Mapping extension is a static tool, but it is restricted to use for a specific time period of a few years. Perhaps not perfectly accurate, but good enough for many of our purposes... I was referring to that tool when grumbling that it is only available in an extension package.

Thanks for the other replies. The python package looks interesting.

antoniolocandro

antoniolocandro

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, Aviation, Travel
  • Honduras

You can search online for NOAA geomag software executable for windows, I assume that the python library is from the same source also but you would need to know or learn a little python to execute it, if you do, then you can just program a function so that ARCGIS queries this python library.

The geomag software has a GUI and you can use it with command line (DOS window), if you want to do a batch of points you need to provide them in a txt file in a specific format (the software provides a few samples), it runs pretty fast last time I used it I got 500 magnetic declination for points in less than a minute.

No need to buy expensive software or re invent the wheel.

Regards,
— daan Strebe

Thanks. I'm pretty sure the tool in the Production Mapping extension is a static tool, but it is restricted to use for a specific time period of a few years. Perhaps not perfectly accurate, but good enough for many of our purposes... I was referring to that tool when grumbling that it is only available in an extension package.

Thanks for the other replies. The python package looks interesting.

antoniolocandro

antoniolocandro

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Honduras

The actual geomag link for you to check it out

I know of 2 solutions to finding magnetic declination from true north at a given point on the earth: using the ArcGIS Production Mapping extension tool "Magnetic Calculator", or typing the coordinates into the NOAA online tool.

I have over 100 points I need to calculate this for, so I would prefer not to type each one into the online tool. And I do not have access to the Production Mapping extension, except through a remote Citrix connection environment, in which it throws an error every time and severely raises my blood pressure. I have no idea why such a tool isn't available within the stock Cartography toolbox in ArcGIS... it seems like a pretty basic function.

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Note that the software calculates values valid between 1900 and 2004 - this will introduce an inaccurate declination if the rate of change is fairly rapid (e.g. for near-polar locations, say Iceland) for your lat/long pair - just a heads-up.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

antoniolocandro

antoniolocandro

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Honduras

I calculate for 2004-2015 also so GeoMag works fine you would need to select WMM or IGRF for the calculation

Note that the software calculates values valid between 1900 and 2004 - this will introduce an inaccurate declination if the rate of change is fairly rapid (e.g. for near-polar locations, say Iceland) for your lat/long pair - just a heads-up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->