6 replies to this topic

Lego

Lego

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Uganda

hello guys, hope this gets to you in your usually good moods. I need to design formation levels for a road but am kind of stuck. I created a profile and cross-sections for the existing road in AutoCAD 2009 but i do not have an idea on superimposing, let alone designing a formation level. so guys tip will be highly appreciated. thanx

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

hello guys, hope this gets to you in your usually good moods. I need to design formation levels for a road but am kind of stuck. I created a profile and cross-sections for the existing road in AutoCAD 2009 but i do not have an idea on superimposing, let alone designing a formation level. so guys tip will be highly appreciated. thanx

Hi lego,
A quick Google search suggested that a formation level is the base rock or earth upon which a road is laid - had never heard the term before. If that's the case, and you want an aerial cartographic depiction of it, is this not a matter of simple polygons? (I may very well be misunderstanding :) )
P

Lego

Lego

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Uganda

Hi lego,
A quick Google search suggested that a formation level is the base rock or earth upon which a road is laid - had never heard the term before. If that's the case, and you want an aerial cartographic depiction of it, is this not a matter of simple polygons? (I may very well be misunderstanding :) )
P

thanx alot raposo unfortunately though we have a terminology mix up here. i had used formation level to mean the finished or proposed level of the road. so could u have any more ideas?? and thanx alot for the reply, ya ounce again

antoniolocandro

antoniolocandro

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, Aviation, Travel
  • Honduras

Can you post a few pictures of what you have? and what you want to achieve maybe samples?

Hi lego,
P

thanx alot raposo unfortunately though we have a terminology mix up here. i had used formation level to mean the finished or proposed level of the road. so could u have any more ideas?? and thanx alot for the reply, ya ounce again

Lego

Lego

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Uganda

Can you post a few pictures of what you have? and what you want to achieve maybe samples?

Hi lego,
P

I've attached a PDF of wat i have done so far. So am thinking of designing a new grade for the road and show it alongside the existing ground profile on the same grid and perhaps latter, to calculate the levels of cuts/ fills

Attached Files

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

This forum is focused on cartography and mapping. Your question seems to be about CAD and engineering.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

antoniolocandro

antoniolocandro

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, Aviation, Travel
  • Honduras

Ok I get what you are doing now. I am a Civil Engineer, so this looks familiar :D. If you are using just AutoCAD 2009 you wont get much done, you need to use AutoCAD LandSurvey at least for what you are trying to do. You should have created a 3D model with contours and elevation points, then you can create the proposed levels at each cross section and finally do a cut and fill.

I do not recall how to do this, since I did this years ago and no longer do it. But if you search online AutoCAD LandSurvey tutorial you should be able to find what you are looking for

From the PDF it seems there is not much room for improvement on the existing road, as it is climbing high terrain. You may try to consider to input also cities and villages, since you dont want your new proposed road to cut off people

Hi lego,
P

I've attached a PDF of wat i have done so far. So am thinking of designing a new grade for the road and show it alongside the existing ground profile on the same grid and perhaps latter, to calculate the levels of cuts/ fills

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->