2 replies to this topic

Milena88

Milena88

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi all,

I need help. I worked in GeoWepp which use ArcMap for lunching simulations of erosion in streams, but before i start geowepp i must
input DEM of my study area. I watched hundreds of tutorials but all this tutorials have downloaded DEM from internet (those scientist didn't
precipitated in creating DEM), and for my study area I cannot find it so I decided to create my own DEM. My question is, can somebody tell me how can I input from my topographic map true value for example heights or values of contours if i have( again for example) 78 meters point height (above sea) on my topographic map. Can ArcMap "read" that values properly? And if i want from dem to show me stream, where and which one values i must put? How I can input for example water flow q (m3/s) or characteristic about river drift in arcmap?I input some values in attribute table but i think I'm on wrong way. Thanks.

Lego

Lego

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Uganda

Hi all,

I need help. I worked in GeoWepp which use ArcMap for lunching simulations of erosion in streams, but before i start geowepp i must
input DEM of my study area. I watched hundreds of tutorials but all this tutorials have downloaded DEM from internet (those scientist didn't
precipitated in creating DEM), and for my study area I cannot find it so I decided to create my own DEM. My question is, can somebody tell me how can I input from my topographic map true value for example heights or values of contours if i have( again for example) 78 meters point height (above sea) on my topographic map. Can ArcMap "read" that values properly? And if i want from dem to show me stream, where and which one values i must put? How I can input for example water flow q (m3/s) or characteristic about river drift in arcmap?I input some values in attribute table but i think I'm on wrong way. Thanks.

hullo milenna,
ok firstly am not sure about what you but am thinking you need to create a dem from your topographic data. if am right, then try this procedure;
1- Open ArcMap (make sure you have the spatial analyst extension license and that it is checked in extensions)
2-Run the convert CAD to Geodatabase tool--select your topo map as the input. the converted CAD will have several features/shapefiles (check table of contents).
3-check through them for the one that represents contours; it shd be a line shapefile. Open its attribute table and look for the field that represents the Z-values.
4- Run the Topo to raster tool and input the shapefile of contours (and maybe a polygon shapefile of your particular are of interest). choose the output location and raster name-press ok
5-when the tool is done running, you'll have yourself a dem. hope it works out fine. good lack

Milena88

Milena88

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi all,

hullo milenna,
ok firstly am not sure about what you but am thinking you need to create a dem from your topographic data. if am right, then try this procedure;
1- Open ArcMap (make sure you have the spatial analyst extension license and that it is checked in extensions)
2-Run the convert CAD to Geodatabase tool--select your topo map as the input. the converted CAD will have several features/shapefiles (check table of contents).
3-check through them for the one that represents contours; it shd be a line shapefile. Open its attribute table and look for the field that represents the Z-values.
4- Run the Topo to raster tool and input the shapefile of contours (and maybe a polygon shapefile of your particular are of interest). choose the output location and raster name-press ok
5-when the tool is done running, you'll have yourself a dem. hope it works out fine. good lack

Hi,
Thanks :D , yes you have been right, i want to create dem from my topo map. Ok i shall do this right now. I shall let you know if i succeed.
best regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->