skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Hi,

This is for a client. Their goal is to highlight the locations of where they've placed their clients and where they anticipate future placements to go.

They initially approached me with the separations and distinct colors at 50, 200, 400, 1000. I'm not sure if what's currently there is the best way to describe those different.

This is going to be submitted digitally, as an 8.5x11 sheet within their grant proposal.

Feel free to tear me apart :D

(Used Openstreetmap base data for boundaries, tilemill, colorbrewer for design, and inkscape for final touches).
Font: Cilasphin.

http://dl.dropbox.co...003223/2007.pdf

Regards,
will.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

The first thing is I'm having trouble matching colors on the map and colors in the legend. Is there some transparency on the layer in the map or something? I think the background color for the land might be causing some confusion, too, as it seems to be very similar to the lightest color in your legend. Also, the boundary lines don't match up with the coastline. Is that a data issue or does the boundary actually go in the water? Definitely could use more thought and design on the title and the legend and the overall layout of the map and those elements.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'm a little puzzled by the purpose of the map, as I wouldn't have expected guide dog placement to depend much on geography. Perhaps a dot density map would be a better way to show past placements, and perhaps even future ones. But I'd definitely think you need to label the municipalities somehow.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

I'm a little puzzled by the purpose of the map, as I wouldn't have expected guide dog placement to depend much on geography. Perhaps a dot density map would be a better way to show past placements, and perhaps even future ones. But I'd definitely think you need to label the municipalities somehow.

Thanks for catching the color discrepancies in the legend, I had made an error and unintentionally used CMYK values from colorbrewer for some of them and RGBA for other colors...

Dennis, it's actually not Guide Dog Placements, but of something else and I erred on the side of caution about revealing that [wasn't sure if it was a faux pas to specifically mention the client in the title or something that would allude to it].

As for the map style, my client couldn't provide with more specific data to use besides the number in each neighborhood or city, and they specifically wanted a Choropleth map. :rolleyes:
Looking back in the design process, I could have been a bit more forceful in suggesting another style to them but that's a lesson learned..

mapfax

mapfax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Just came across your posting. I really enjoy maps of the Cleveland area. I did quite a few for my thesis, and I have just a few comments:

1. Some of the map boundaries need to be adjusted to include Parma Heights and the eastern border for Chagrin Falls Township. A good source for boundaries is http://boe.cuyahogac...en-US/Maps.aspx .

2. Within Cleveland there seems to be district or ward boundaries, but not all of them are shown. Perhaps they should be shown with a thinner line so they are different from the city and county boundaries.

3. Finally, I noticed that your title uses "Cuyahoga County," but your map includes part of Lake County (northeast part of map).

Good luck with the project.

skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Just came across your posting. I really enjoy maps of the Cleveland area. I did quite a few for my thesis, and I have just a few comments:

1. Some of the map boundaries need to be adjusted to include Parma Heights and the eastern border for Chagrin Falls Township. A good source for boundaries is http://boe.cuyahogac...en-US/Maps.aspx .

2. Within Cleveland there seems to be district or ward boundaries, but not all of them are shown. Perhaps they should be shown with a thinner line so they are different from the city and county boundaries.

3. Finally, I noticed that your title uses "Cuyahoga County," but your map includes part of Lake County (northeast part of map).

Good luck with the project.

Thanks for the feedback ! I was away for a few weeks and unable to respond until now...

1. My client included Parma and Parma Heights as the same area (for those not in the known, they are separate municipalities each with their own mayor, but share some municipal services like schools). That is, they gave me the number, designated it as parma/parma hts...

2. Good point, I should have made the neighborhood boundaries a bit thinner.

3. I'll have to check the latest copy of it to make sure !

skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Here are the two final copies that were given to the client. My client liked them and it was one of my first paid projects.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->