• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

kellyk

kellyk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Mexico

Hey,

I'm making a map of density of HIV+ patients, and I have about 7,000 xy located points. I am trying to use the density tool (point density) in spatial analysist, in the neighborhood option I would like to use the circles option, however when it processes it comes out as squares! I've tried to mess with a bunch of the settings and see if it comes out differently, but no always squares. Has anyone had this before? Does my data need to be raster? It is really confusing me. Any reccommendations?

Also I'm using arcmap 10 and windows xp.

Kelly

Edited by kellyk, 15 May 2012 - 01:00 PM.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

The circles option defines how the density tool identifies the neighbourhood. The output will always be raster (a grid of square cells). The output will never look circular.

Make sure that you define a raster environment before with a useful cell size. I suspect that what you see is an output raster with a very big cell size.

The output will be a density map/heat map.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

lc500

lc500

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • No Country Selected

The circles option defines how the density tool identifies the neighbourhood. The output will always be raster (a grid of square cells). The output will never look circular.

Make sure that you define a raster environment before with a useful cell size. I suspect that what you see is an output raster with a very big cell size.

thank you! I think i've got it. I was getting a set of lines and you're right, by changing the cell size I can get more polygonal shapes.

kellyk

kellyk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Mexico

hmmm, thank you that is helpful, so I guess then I have a new question, I was trying out a bunch of different tools one day and I made this map, and I can't figure out how to remake it, any suggestions. I've attached a jpeg of it.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->