David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've participated in the forums. Sadly, they don't let me make maps anymore. It's been far too long.

Because it's been so long, my "name a projection" skills are getting rusty. I need to advise on a couple of different projections, and I'm looking for some help.

I need to identified a proper projection for each of the following:

1. Southern California
2. California
3. Western United States

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for a standard projection for each of those.

Thanks, David
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

Strebe

Strebe

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

I need to identified a proper projection for each of the following:

1. Southern California
2. California
3. Western United States

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for a standard projection for each of those.

Both Southern California and California can be handled just fine with UTM pretty much regardless of the specifics of your usage, though Southern California will span two zones. For just Southern California, a transverse Mercator with central meridian of about 118°W will be about as good as you can get, though it depends on what you’re calling Southern California.

For all of California, a little more accuracy could be wrung out of a transverse Mercator centered on something like 119°W. An even better solution would be Lambert conformal conic with standard parallels at 34° and 40°30'.

Western US depends on several things. Will it include Alaska and/or Hawaii? What is the purpose of the map?

Regards,
— daan Strebe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->