Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

I did something for the first time this winter. I entered my only self published map in the CAGIS 2012 map competion ( http://www.cartogis.org/ ) at the cost of 30$ plus another 30$ for shipping the map. I believe this event is being sponsored by ESRI and AVENZA.

Based on the forms I filled in, the results were due in February. I was wondering if any of the good folks on Cartotalk would know about this competition and where it stands with regards to this years competition.

Not that I've placed my hopes very high with regards to winning, but seeing I dished out 60$ it would be nice to know. I did send a message to Cagis but I assume there not working on this event full time.

For example, I saw a mapping competition from Cartifact that offers a 10000$ prize
http://www.cartifact...nnovationaward/

Would be nice to know if others think about mapping competitions. Positive and negative comments welcome.

Regards to all,

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hi,

I did something for the first time this winter. I entered my only self published map in the CAGIS 2012 map competion ( http://www.cartogis.org/ ) at the cost of 30$ plus another 30$ for shipping the map. I believe this event is being sponsored by ESRI and AVENZA.

Based on the forms I filled in, the results were due in February. I was wondering if any of the good folks on Cartotalk would know about this competition and where it stands with regards to this years competition.

Not that I've placed my hopes very high with regards to winning, but seeing I dished out 60$ it would be nice to know. I did send a message to Cagis but I assume there not working on this event full time.

For example, I saw a mapping competition from Cartifact that offers a 10000$ prize

Would be nice to know if others think about mapping competitions. Positive and negative comments welcome.

Regards to all,

I entered this competition in 2010, and I remember getting a call out of the blue saying that I was an honorary winner in my category. I want to say that was in June/July when I got that call. It was about 3 weeks later when I received my plaque/certificate for the award.

I personally love the challenge of competing against some of the greatest cartographers and bigger organizations. Wish I had a map that was competition worthy every year.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

$10,000 map contest! :o

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

aallen

aallen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

As for the formal results for this year I do not think they have been relesed I did receive word at the beginning of March, that me and my team placed "honorable mention in two categories, "Book Atlas - Northeastern Ontario Backroad Mapbook" and in the "Recreation/Travel Maps Category - Haida Gwaii Recreation Map" for the 2012 CaGIS competion. A few years ago in 2008 I remember waiting longer, but well worth the wait as we won 2008 for "Book Atlas - Northern BC Backroad Mapbook" category.
Good Luck

Andrew Allen
www.backroadmapbooks.com

Hi,

Regards to all,

Andrew Allen

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

I've seen similar contests in the mining business - I think it was Barrick that offered a huge amount of prize money to whoever could solve one of their mining problems. Just thinking out loud here, but it is possible Cartifact is looking for innovative solutions to help their R&D efforts along.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Looks like National Geographic has garnered most of the awards for 2011.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

SteveR

SteveR

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

http://www.cartogis....rds/winners.php

The list of winners took took a long time to make it to the CaGIS website, only appearing a couple of days ago. I was informed we'd won an honorable mention on March 7th, so creating the awards page must have been a volunteer effort, or maybe they were holding off on announcing the winners until some event.

Steve Richardson
2i3D Stereo Imaging

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

I had an entry in the reference category. All awards in the reference category went to NG. (As Jeff mentioned seems National Geographic won a lot of categories).

Would be interesting to see a list of entries, by category.

Anyway, I enjoyed the experience as it was my first time entering a map of mine in a 'contest'.

Might give it another try next year.

Regards,

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->