15 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

This one, is about Americo Vespucio and his voyages. The classic appearance was achieved using a Robinson Projection.Today everyone sees elsewhere the Mercator one, so, just using a projection that looks spherical simplifies the problem to give that "anient" look.
I always used some textures for the paper, some special typos, and a"gold" tone to all the map and colors.
I applied a hacthure photoshop filter to the seas near the coast to get that engarver mapwork.

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

Also interesting and cool. I like the various effects and the typefaces you've used.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

stephenramirezzz

stephenramirezzz

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Great stuff, these are all really cool.

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
  • Spain

Great stuff, these are all really cool.

Thank you

tofufriend

tofufriend

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Bellisima! did you manually painted the topography? (mountains) what software did you use?

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • United States

Very nice! The subtle drop-shadows beneath the route lines are unique and effective.

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

In this case the shaded relief was not done by hand. The topography is a shaded relief done with Sufer software and then some retouching, filters etc....

Bellisima! did you manually painted the topography? (mountains) what software did you use?

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Thnk you. I use these type of shadowing in several of my maps. Most times to the arrows and texts, so the shaded relief underneath makes them appear as if they were thrown by sun. Just a perception trick by overlaping the shadow of the lines and the shaded relief

Very nice! The subtle drop-shadows beneath the route lines are unique and effective.

Max Olson

Max Olson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Very nice. Big fan of historic maps.

Excuse my ignorance -- first time poster new to cartography/GIS -- but what software was this map originally created in? Is it created in a GIS program then eventually transported into Photoshop? If so, are the paths/arrows GIS data or added afterward?

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

I like it!

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Hello Max,
Thank you. Yes, the arrows are place with adobe illustrator, as well as the texts etc... Gis or Science cartographic systems usually dont allow to control "artistic" side of maps easily.
Best regards
Fernando

Very nice. Big fan of historic maps.

Excuse my ignorance -- first time poster new to cartography/GIS -- but what software was this map originally created in? Is it created in a GIS program then eventually transported into Photoshop? If so, are the paths/arrows GIS data or added afterward?

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Thank you Michael

I like it!

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

Excellent job!

I like your choice of projection, too. It really gives it a nice, professional, artistic touch.

The way you blend the backgrounds of paper and map together is very effective, too.
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

Strebe

Strebe

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

This one, is about Americo Vespucio and his voyages. The classic appearance was achieved using a Robinson Projection.Today everyone sees elsewhere the Mercator one, so, just using a projection that looks spherical simplifies the problem to give that "anient" look.

This is one case where a Mercator might even be preferred. I would like to see the actual courses Vespucci sailed. On a Mercator one can easily see the course corrections against rhumbs. Of course I understand that we likely do not have enough information about those courses.

Any reasonable projection you might use would be an anachronism for Vespucci, of course. The Robinson is similar to the oval projection Ortelius popularized later in the 16th century, so I can see how its use might contribute to an antique feel.

Regards,
— daan Strebe

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Hello strebe
In this map, the selected projection does not have anything to do with accurate rumbs or vespucci data.
It was just selected because of "stylism" , page composition, communication with the audience... it was selected because it allows to draw a "sphere shade" and at the same time fills the sheet of paper. Also because it maintains north an south without too much distorsion (mercator doesnt). The map does not want to show any loxodromics, geodesics, ... nor any real measurable data. As you say, vespucci's rumbs are surely unknown.
If for this map we would need to make a real navigatin approach as in xv or xvi century, we should begin using a rumbs map based projection (mercator was not even used) the rumbs based in Hierro meridian as origin and using "winds roses" with different origins.
For intance, the map is inspired more in a xviii map than in a map from the xv century, which ussualy has a "hard look".
The maps i present here are 60% mathematical cartography and the rest is stylism for the reader and information made by historians for the map.
I can know a lot about projections, maths, geodesy and use them to begin the maps... BUT the readers and clients dont want technical maps. For instance these maps are carthographicaly perfect but just " adorned"
A cartographer has to communicate too... a map which is not read by anyone is a death map. just as music which is not listened ;-)

This is one case where a Mercator might even be preferred. I would like to see the actual courses Vespucci sailed. On a Mercator one can easily see the course corrections against rhumbs. Of course I understand that we likely do not have enough information about those courses.

Any reasonable projection you might use would be an anachronism for Vespucci, of course. The Robinson is similar to the oval projection Ortelius popularized later in the 16th century, so I can see how its use might contribute to an antique feel.

Regards,
— daan Strebe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->