• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

A few years ago I designed an alternative roadmap of The Netherlands, partly inspired by Harry Beck's London tube map, as well as Nat's take on the US Interstate system and a similar map of the UK motorways.

A few weeks ago I was approached by the Radboud University in Nijmegen, The Netherlands, asking if I would be interested in doing a guest lecture for their mapping students, explaining my work, my process, how I find my inspiration and showing off my portfolio. So I figured I'd use that as an excuse to update my roadmap a bit. Compared to the old version, I've added water features as well as a country outline. Of course the road network itself has been updated as well. Comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Attached File  Alternatieve_Wegenkaart_2012.jpg   98.84KB   111 downloads

Attached File  alternative_roadmap_2012_detail.jpg   130.23KB   59 downloads

Attached File  alternative_roadmap_2012_detail2.jpg   133.44KB   45 downloads

The original discussion, way back in 2007, is here, at least as far as I could find out in a short amount of time.

The lecture is tomorrow and of course I'll be mentioning Cartotalk and NACIS to the students.

Edited by Hans van der Maarel, 02 May 2012 - 09:17 AM.
changed images for RGB ones

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

hmm, for some reason I can't view your images. I can see the thumbnails, but when I click on them it shows me a broken picture link. Right-clicking on that and selecting Show Picture doesn't help.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Jason

Jason

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Geography, and more Cartography. Oh, I also garden and golf in the summer.
  • United States

Hans, very cool opportunity. I like the maps also.

hmm, for some reason I can't view your images. I can see the thumbnails, but when I click on them it shows me a broken picture link. Right-clicking on that and selecting Show Picture doesn't help.

They are working for me.
Jason Clark
Clark Cartography

Without Geography, you'd be nowhere.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Turned out the images were in CMYK (I already thought the colors were a bit off), so I've replaced them. Should be working now Dave.

And yes, I'm really excited about this opportunity. I've trawled through my archive and came up with a number of very interesting projects, ranging from some where I got almost complete creative control to one where I was bound to a predetermined set of style guidelines.

In the process of these projects, I can proudly say I've contributed to the largest atlas in the world and 2 of the most popular websites in The Netherlands, some of my work is seen on national television every weekday and one of my maps (or rather... a photo of it...) even made it into (the Dutch edition of) National Geographic Magazine. And that's just the stuff that made it into the presentation! I've also done work for amphibian researchers in lower Alaska, mountainbikers in Tyrol, somebody cleaning up contaminated industrial terrains in the US, somebody paddling a kayak around Europe, somebody who is going around the world by bike, somebody who is making a globe by himself, somebody who wants to make a globe by himself and many many more interesting clients (and also with and/or for a lot of very skilled and talented other cartographers)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Works now (I guess that's what I get for using IE! :P )
Very nice work, as always, Hans!

That's a great list of accomplishments and kinds of pprojects and clients. Sounds like it will be an interesting presentation for the students.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->