6 replies to this topic

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Hi All, I'm having trouble exporting a raster from ArcGIS so I can do some colour corrections in Photoshop. For some reason, any .tif or .png files I export won't open (not in microsoft picture manager either). I've never really had this problem so I'm almost thinking it's a bug with ArcGIS 10? I've tried .jpg as well but ArcGIS seems to be having trouble converting my grid to that format.

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

are you getting error messages like they're unreadable, or are the images opening all white or all black or something like that? How are you exporting the images? ie: File > Export Map or Right-clicking the layer > Export Data or some other method?

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

pete.wells

pete.wells

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United Kingdom

are you getting error messages like they're unreadable, or are the images opening all white or all black or something like that? How are you exporting the images? ie: File > Export Map or Right-clicking the layer > Export Data or some other method?

Not sure if this helps but I was in the same situation a year or so ago (needing to adjust the 'null' colour from black to fuchsia) and had to write a small script to strip out the 'geo' component of the geoTiff, edit the file (in gimp in my case), then re-embed the 'geo' component.

I seem to remember it was possible to script the whole process on stripping, adjusting levels/colours in gimp and then re-embedding.

Hope that helps.

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

I did discover that Photoshop won't open a .jpeg larger than 40000 rows, so I resampled my raster and then it worked. But it still won't open .tif or .png, one .tif was a big black square. I've tried exporting in ArcCatalog by right-clicking on the raster, also using the "Copy Raster" tool.

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Not sure if this helps but I was in the same situation a year or so ago (needing to adjust the 'null' colour from black to fuchsia) and had to write a small script to strip out the 'geo' component of the geoTiff, edit the file (in gimp in my case), then re-embed the 'geo' component.

I seem to remember it was possible to script the whole process on stripping, adjusting levels/colours in gimp and then re-embedding.

Hope that helps.

Oy, that sounds like a lot of work!

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

I did discover that Photoshop won't open a .jpeg larger than 40000 rows, so I resampled my raster and then it worked. But it still won't open .tif or .png, one .tif was a big black square. I've tried exporting in ArcCatalog by right-clicking on the raster, also using the "Copy Raster" tool.

This sounds an awful lot like something that I run into with the 16bit grayscale images that Arc exports from DEMs and hillshades. . Take a look at this screencast I made and see if that's what you're getting too. The fix is at about the 5 minute mark if it's the same issue.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

This sounds an awful lot like something that I run into with the 16bit grayscale images that Arc exports from DEMs and hillshades. . Take a look at this screencast I made and see if that's what you're getting too. The fix is at about the 5 minute mark if it's the same issue.

Thanks Adam, I'll take a look at the levels on the .tif. It's actually an aerial photo, rather than a dem or hillshade that I'm working with. I do recall seeing the black square issue when trying to work with those though. In the end I have one .tif that seems to open properly, plus the downsampled .jpeg. (I'm trying to colour match them before mosaicking).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->