Daniel Huffman

Daniel Huffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Cartotalk Denizens,

I'm thinking about putting together a session for this year's NACIS conference in Portland. Tentatively titled, "A Portrait of the Artist," it will be personal stories from cartographers, focusing on what their work has meant to them. We spend a lot of time at conferences talking about maps, and I'd like for a change to talk about the people who make them. I'm looking for people with interesting stories to tell about why they make maps, and how their lives have been changed by this esoteric career. It can be moving (personally, maps are what has kept me going through depression), or funny, or both. Above all, it should be a good story.

Not sure how long the sessions will be, or how many people I might try to fit in, but probably looking for people to each go ~20 minutes.

Any suggestions? You can nominate yourself or suggest someone else I might chat with. Feel free to reply here or email me at danielphuffman@gmail.com

Thanks!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I did something not too dissimilar today, in the form of a guest lecture for students at the Radboud University in Nijmegen.

I was afraid I'd run out of things to say, but I easily filled the 2 x 45 minutes they had planned for me, showing off several noteworthy projects from my portfolio and explaining things about them, such as the workflow, client decisions that I didn't agree with, maps that inspired them (or were inspired by them), why I liked them.

I think it's a great idea, I would love to hear somebody like Dennis McClendon, Jean-Louis Rheault or Tom Patterson (to name but a few) do a talk like that (and I would in turn love to give a talk like that), but I think timing is an issue. 20 minutes is short. I noticed that when I got going, it was hard to stop me.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

Good Sir Huffman!

I too did a similar thing, like Hans, was asked to speak to a undergrad senior geography class at Penn State about my life/career as a cartographer/geographer. Easy to fill up time with that, particularly because I think many cartographers have diverse career paths. At NACIS it would be cartographers talking to cartographers, so it might be a chance to hear from other (perhaps accomplished) folks about how they handled particular junctures in their career, and/or a bonding session :)

P

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

At NACIS it would be cartographers talking to cartographers, so it might be a chance to hear from other (perhaps accomplished) folks about how they handled particular junctures in their career, and/or a bonding session :)

Reminds me of of this: a few years ago, Sacramento if I recall correctly, there was a panel discussion on running a small cartographic business. The panel consisted of me, Derek Tonn, Dennis McClendon and Alex Tait. We got quite a big audience and it sort of evolved to a more open discussion on how we operated.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

M.Denil

M.Denil

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

I think I might fancy taking part in a "A Portrait of the Artist" panel at NACIS. I have always considered (and spoken about) my cartographic work as an art practice, and have a great deal of experance in understanding such practices in general.
My Undergraduate BFA studies were at NSCAD (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design) in the 1970s, when NSCAD was the leading instution for the study of conceptual art (an art form very much concerned with the nature of the art making activity itself). Later, after some hard core craft training in cartography at COGS, I returned to NSCAD to do my MFA centered on cartographic theory.

I think that the prospect of engaging in a dialog about these critically important issues with the calibre of practitioners already mentioned in this thread would be very exciting; for me, and for the NACIS community.

Mark Denil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->