• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello all,

This is a work in progress, though the basemap is just about complete. I've got the bottom & right space reserved for 3 trail profiles that I have yet to complete. Once they are done, this map will be complete unless some keen eyes pick out mistakes or give me some good insight.

This map is one of a series of 3. I've done another at 1:25000, but can't really get it legible in this sight with the 1mb limit. This map is designed for print. I've spent a lot time developing a new method (at least to me) with the isohypse. In the lighter areas of hillshade the isohypse are lighter, the darker areas they are darker. Kinda map algebra utilizing Adobe. The object of the design is to make all isohypse visible and still have the ability to put type over them without halos (not that I have ever used a halo). You can get a good look at the effect around Long Mountain on this map. If anyone else has heard of any doing anything like this let me know.

Any other comments are always welcome.

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

looks gorgeous!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Canada

Nice!
Suttle colors, good design (easy to read).
Your attention to details, is noticable with the way contours show upstream (contour re-entrance in cartographic words).
I like the way you chose to place contour labels. Somewhat inovative, works well.

I would consider removing (or not displaying) unreadable type in an around your legend boxes.
I personally don't like the blue red combination for the 'state' highway 25.
I would chose a grey tone for the highway ramps (plus add the ramp number if any).

Again nice mapping!

Regards

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

Jacques Gélinas

Jacques Gélinas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Canada

isohypse..

Not sure how it can relate, but for my Park wall map, I created 5 slope classes. For the steaper class I added a lightening mask so that the combination of texture and greyscale shading would not be to dark. I worked each slope class polygon to achieve the 'wanted' result.

Regads,

Jacques Gélinas
cartographer
www.cartesgeo.ca

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Nice!
Suttle colors, good design (easy to read).
Your attention to details, is noticable with the way contours show upstream (contour re-entrance in cartographic words).
I like the way you chose to place contour labels. Somewhat inovative, works well.

I would consider removing (or not displaying) unreadable type in an around your legend boxes.
I personally don't like the blue red combination for the 'state' highway 25.
I would chose a grey tone for the highway ramps (plus add the ramp number if any).

Again nice mapping!

Regards

Thanks for the comments. Will take your advice with removing unreadable text around the legend boxes. I still have to add three profiles and won't delete text until all elements are on the map and the placements are finalized.

I can understand the blue/red limited access highway is a bit harsh at this scale. However, I have a 1:25000 scale map of the area that shows the limited access changing to regular federal highway. I want to keep the maps consistent.

The exit numbers are on there (though they most likely will be covered with the trail profiles). I did notice they are different size fonts.

Thanks,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Looks nice. A couple of small notes: ---drews Creek Rd is partially hidden by the legend. Are you sure that's the correct name? NAVTEQ and Google both think it's called Terrys Creek Rd. The US 25 offramps could be redrawn to look smoother. The placement of "WARD MOUNTAIN" seems a little odd, since it doesn't wrap around the fairly conical peak. The junction of Rock Creek and Green River seems a bit angular; I'd redraw it to be more sinuous.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

AndyM

AndyM

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Canada

Beautiful map!

I find it hard to read the path symbols in the legend. Their labels seem to fall between the symbols because they do fall between the nearest endpoints. Exacerbating the problem is the fact that the path shapes trend down and right, pointing towards the wrong label. Easiest would be to show straight horizontal paths but the organic shape you have rather suits the map.

Also, perhaps simplify the curvature for the Long Mountain label, it looks a but tortured.

Very interesting yield sign, never seen anything like it before. Is this yours or does the park have these posted?

In the lighter areas of hillshade the isohypse are lighter, the darker areas they are darker.

I wondered about that, quite effective. To me the lighter contours still seem a bit, um, lighter, but that may be my monitor.

I'm fascinated by how well those contour labels work.

Again, I really like it.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the comments,

Dennis it is in fact Andrews Road until it crosses Bobs Creek Rd just to the south, then it becomes Terrys Creek Road as the road travel adjacent to Terrys Creek. In the end it doesn't matter as I am removing those labels on this map. Agree with the confluence of Rock Creek. There is actually a big ledge right there which forms a nice class III rapid, but this is probably a case where aesthetics should take precedence. Ramps could use improvement.

Andy I was trying to keep Long Mountain between the contours, on my 1:25000 it is a lot smoother. Maybe that was done subconsciously as I hiked Long Mountain and it was torture, nothing but green brier the whole length. I think that the legend reads fine in the printed version. Quality really suffers here. Converting it sRGB and saving it as a .jpeg quality 6 to get it under 1m. The yield sign is used on a lot of maps of the National Forest here in America. I made it, but copied some else. I've been developing a method for the isohypse, still a work in progress. Maybe I will master it on my next map.

Thanks,
kru
Strabo 22AD

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

This should be the final, took a lot comments to heart. Saturated the trails to make them pop. Pulled colors from the logo. Kept profiles pretty simple.

Any comments welcome,
kru

Attached Files

Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->