burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Hello

I am trying to find data for Kananaskis Country in Alberta. In particular, all the boudaries and trails.

Thanks in advance

Bruce

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Canada

Try AltaLIS Click on the download tab and provincial parks is further down the list. Free to download but you might want to consider their licence agreement first ("Any reproduction, redistribution, or transmission of the data in any form or any means in whole or in part, in its original or any value-added form, is expressly prohibited without the prior written agreement of Spatial Data Warehouse Ltd.") so I'm not sure how helpful it will be to you (if you take those sort of things into consideration).

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Rudy

Thanks for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Bruce

petersa

petersa

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Canada

Try AltaLIS Click on the download tab and provincial parks is further down the list. Free to download but you might want to consider their licence agreement first ("Any reproduction, redistribution, or transmission of the data in any form or any means in whole or in part, in its original or any value-added form, is expressly prohibited without the prior written agreement of Spatial Data Warehouse Ltd.") so I'm not sure how helpful it will be to you (if you take those sort of things into consideration).

Hey Rudy, I'm looking for the same thing but need to be able to display it publicly. Are there any maps that have no copyright limitations for Kananaskis? I don't need any trails or park boundary markings but need something that I can overlay GPS track data onto. I don't even need it to be a topo, just show a basic idea of the relief.

Also what program would you suggest to overlay the tracks on and provide an elevation profile for the specific trails?

Thanks in advance.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Canada

Hey Rudy, I'm looking for the same thing but need to be able to display it publicly. Are there any maps that have no copyright limitations for Kananaskis? I don't need any trails or park boundary markings but need something that I can overlay GPS track data onto. I don't even need it to be a topo, just show a basic idea of the relief.

Also what program would you suggest to overlay the tracks on and provide an elevation profile for the specific trails?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to make the map yourself, you could try Natural Resources Canada's data available here. But if you want a pre-built map on to which you can simply overlay your gps tracks, try ArcGIS Online. Neither has provincial park boundaries in them as they are owned by the province and they don't want to share just yet.

CanadianGIS.com

CanadianGIS.com

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Canada

May also want to try "GeoDiscover Alberta: Alberta's gateway to maps, services and geographic information".

GeoDiscover provides online access to maps, and geographic information for the Province of Alberta.

https://maps.srd.alb.../main/home.page

CanadianGIS.com - Canadian GIS & Geomatics information about map data sources in Canada, geomatics employment, Canadian education programs, conferences, events and much more.

Check out our free Geomatics Employment resource group on FaceBook or our professional geomatics networking group on LinkedIn.

@canadiangis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->