kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:wine, women and song
  • Norway

...I’ve somehow managed (don't ask me how, why or reasons) to gain acceptance with ultra-hardcore Graffiti artists…

They’ve set their hearts on a diffuse grayscale map with hints of red…inspired from Steven Spielberg’s black & white film with the little girl in a red coat.

…take a look at this when you have some time...combining cartography with graffiti,
this appears to be the initiation of a trailblazing route through the urban jungle, perhaps they’ll end up covering the whole of the city in shocking hot pink graffiti…

…all comments thoroughly welcome, especially those that will give us a chuckle!

PDF version available here

Keep-up the good work wherever you are.

Best wishes to all, as always,
Kevin-Paul
Stavanger Guide Maps Norway
www.stavanger-guide.no

Posted Image

RiSuther

RiSuther

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Canada

This is amazing. What a unique collaboration!

It's exactly the kind of art-walk I would enjoy in a city: No crowding into stuffy galleries where you have to talk in hushed tones.

I'd hate to ruin the design by adding to it but would it be worth putting a few major street names on the map as a reference for non-locals?

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

Ha, very cool. I just read about a new app for mapping graffiti believe it or not, from a LinkedIn post, titled, "mapping graffiti as a early indicator for cultural geography analysis" that linked to this article:

http://www.gisuser.c...t/view/26371/2/

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Norway

This is amazing. What a unique collaboration!
I'd hate to ruin the design by adding to it but would it be worth putting a few major street names on the map as a reference for non-locals?

Hi RiSuther and thanks for taking the time to comment,

Your reaction is really a fine pat-on-the-back for all concerned. Thank you very much.
I must be honest and say that I’m still trying to get a grip on street art. I think you’d have to spend a little time with these gals & guys to comprehend a ‘little’ of their world.

Of course I agree with you about the street names, but then at the same time I can understand and respect the wishes of the street artists themselves. I don’t think that they live in any kind of ordered structured compliant conformity, rather a wish that their work be associated with a particular building at a particular site, and not a street name tag.

…it’s also a little perplexing the way that they communicate. I hear from them, then a year passes. Silence. Then they take-up as though it was yesterday…

Thanks again and hope you enjoy your time with CartoTalk.

Kevin-Paul

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Norway

Ha, very cool.

Hello jerseysbest and thanks for your feedback and for the great link,

It may just be that these gals & guys are taking cartography to new heights.

Art meets Art. It’s a wonderful refreshing story, and I’m sure it will encourage other cartographers to check out possible collaborations around the world.

Thanks again and hope you enjoy your 1st May Day celebrations,

Kevin-Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->