3 replies to this topic

AndyM

AndyM

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Canada

I have coastline vectors to which I want to register an image to fit it, so I can digitize from it. Projections for vectors and image are the same.

We've all done this a thousand times. It was a one-minute job in Freehand and it's taking me far too long in Illustrator.

In Freehand you would drag the image so as to get one "control point" that matched. Then you would drag the page origin to that point. Any of the transformations (scale, rotate, skew, etc) could then be centered on the origin -- the transformation dialog box allowed to to specify the coordinate (eg 0,0) for the anchor point. A few iterations of scaling and rotation and you;d be done.

But in Illustrator I can't see a way to control the centre of the transformations besides the 9 anchor points (at the object's center or the 8 points around the perimeter). After each iteration you have to realign one location on the image to the vectors.

I don't have MAPublisher at the moment, but this is a basic graphic editing problem.

What am I missing?

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Canada

What am I missing?

What are you missing? FreeHand!

Seriously, though....about a year ago I made a valiant attempt to migrate over to Illustrator, and gave up after several months of concrete evidence that FreeHand is much more efficient for the kind of production cartography my company does. Oddly though, Illustrator's method of fitting rasters was one of the very few features that I preferred over FreeHand's! I found it to be more intuitive and easier to use. But I can't remember how I did it! Sorry. Maybe we should just wait for Free FreeHand to win the lawsuit so we can all move over to a newer, muscle-bound version of FreeHand! B)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

David Deis

David Deis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Try selecting the object/s you want to transform. With these selected and the desired transformation tool active, single-click to reposition the transformation center point (it looks like small circle with crosshairs). You can also move this center point around if you click hold and drag. Hope this helps...
Dreamline Cartography
Custom Design Maps for Publication

AndyM

AndyM

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Canada

What are you missing? FreeHand!

Yes, yes I am :)

Dave, I know the point you are talking about, I use it all the time in Photoshop. I have just never seen it in Illustrator (maybe too much noise with all the vectors?) so stopped looking for it. This

the desired transformation tool active

was what I was missing. There are 3 different interfaces for transformations. I just tried using the "freehand" (not FreeHand) scale and rotate tools on the toolbar it looks like I should be able to do what I want. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->