• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ErinGreb

ErinGreb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:atlas design, textbook cartography, historical map design, guidebook maps
  • United States

I am trying to open a file in Illustrator that has several ESRI fonts for symbols. Of course, they do not appear correctly when opened since I don't own the fonts. Do I have to be using a PC with an ESRI licence to get these fonts, or is there a workaround? (I don't have access to ArcGIS)

I've run into this problem many times in the past and just manually changed the symbols based on the PDF preview. But this time there are just too many symbols to do it that way.

Thanks!
Erin

David Deis

David Deis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Not sure there is a workaround. Is it possible to ask the supplier of this file to re-export from ArcGIS with the "convert marker symbols to polygons" option checked? Or, ask that the Type>Convert to Outlines command be applied from Illustrator?
Dreamline Cartography
Custom Design Maps for Publication

ErinGreb

ErinGreb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:atlas design, textbook cartography, historical map design, guidebook maps
  • United States

Not sure there is a workaround. Is it possible to ask the supplier of this file to re-export from ArcGIS with the "convert marker symbols to polygons" option checked? Or, ask that the Type>Convert to Outlines command be applied from Illustrator?

Thanks for the advice. However the file is an old Illustrator file, not even sure it was made in ArcGIS, might have just used the fonts. Oh well, at least I can see what the symbols are supposed to look like in the preview.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

PM me a link to the file, and I'll see if I can convert them for you.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ErinGreb

ErinGreb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • United States

PM me a link to the file, and I'll see if I can convert them for you.

Thanks, but someone else beat you to it! All fonts are accounted for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->