- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Asbjørn

Asbjørn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Norway

Hi, I'm trying to build a 3d model of a golfcourse in Norway. For that I need a DEM file with not more than 100.000 points. I have .las files with a 0.1 m resolution and can export this to DEM files using Global Mapper in any resolution I want.

The problem is the 100.000 points limit.

There's a big lake in the middle of the course and several smaller ponds around, and I obviously don't need points in the DEM file for these areas. But I don't know how to remove them, or actually, I don't know if it is at all possible to remove them.

But in my mind I see a DEM file based on contour lines with points placed ONLY on the contour lines. This should significantly reduce the number of points without compromising the details too much. Is this possible? And if so, how do I do to get this done? Any software which can do this?

Thanks for your help!

Regards
Asbjørn

canvas101

canvas101

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

Hello Asbjørn,

What is the final format for the data? If you are creating a DEM the sample spacing upon export is going to supersede any underlying data. If the data is destined for a CAD environment then you could export the contours and use a simplification command to reduce the number of vertices until you reach your target (100.000) goal. Hope this helps.

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->