- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Unorthodox

Unorthodox

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

I've had the opportunity to get back into GIS and soon some cartography work for the company I work for recently, so awesome! It's been fun sourcing data and planning out my maps, but I have run into a problem:

This particular map starts with some polygons and a handful of data points but as you can see in the screenshot there are those funky diagonal lines shooting off at a 135 degree heading from the various polygons and stretching off to infinity as depicted here

Posted Image

Now I feel like there is a simple fix for this, that I saw it happen before a few years ago when I took my GIS classes and I'm hoping the intermediate work I've been doing has just pushed that fix out of my brain. I could also be totally wrong.

This shp was created from a kml if that matters. I'm presently working around the problem while I try and dig up a fix but the end product naturally should be line free.

Any thoughts?
Geographers know where to do it.

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Is this data bought thru some tools from one format to another..if your answer is YES..
Please search the thread in cartotalk, last week the same issue was raised and the solution was in place..

Cheers!!!

I've had the opportunity to get back into GIS and soon some cartography work for the company I work for recently, so awesome! It's been fun sourcing data and planning out my maps, but I have run into a problem:

This particular map starts with some polygons and a handful of data points but as you can see in the screenshot there are those funky diagonal lines shooting off at a 135 degree heading from the various polygons and stretching off to infinity as depicted here

Posted Image

Now I feel like there is a simple fix for this, that I saw it happen before a few years ago when I took my GIS classes and I'm hoping the intermediate work I've been doing has just pushed that fix out of my brain. I could also be totally wrong.

This shp was created from a kml if that matters. I'm presently working around the problem while I try and dig up a fix but the end product naturally should be line free.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Any thoughts?

Might look at one of the polygons in the KML file and find the text string that describes the coordinates for the geometry. It looks like you have a 0,0,0 coordinate in each of the polygons. I can't remember if KML uses the same starting and ending coordinate to signify that it is a closed polygon. If the end and start coordinates do not match, then this could also be your problem. What are you using to convert from KML to shapefile?

Cheers,
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->