gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Hello there,

I'm in need for creating regular grid (1x1km) for given country to make some statistical map.
Ideall scenario would be to replace the shape of given country with a regular grid at least covering to bounding box of its area.
While the countries may be located in different continents the questions is about the right, one ? projection for all of them.
Would it be ok to use Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area and while switching to different country just pick up a central meridian/ latitude of origin for that given coutnry, or maybe even easier (not to switch the parameters to often) for the continent the country is situated on ?
Can anyone make any sugesstion ?

Thank you in advance
Gregory

Strebe

Strebe

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

Your Lambert azimuthal scheme seems fine. I would center the projection for each country, rather than rely on one per continent, since I would see the distortion as blatant otherwise. A few countries are not going to work well on the Lambert Azimuthal, such as Russia or USA if you include Alaska and Hawaii. You might consider Albers for those and Canada.

Best,
— daan Strebe

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Your Lambert azimuthal scheme seems fine. I would center the projection for each country, rather than rely on one per continent, since I would see the distortion as blatant otherwise. A few countries are not going to work well on the Lambert Azimuthal, such as Russia or USA if you include Alaska and Hawaii. You might consider Albers for those and Canada.

Best,
— daan Strebe

Hello Daan,

Thank you for an swift answer. In the meantime I found some more info about the LAEA.
http://webhelp.esri....thal_Equal_Area
Indeed I should be aware about the focal point and the maximum extent. Thanks !
Regards,
Gregory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->