• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Chloe Denny

Chloe Denny

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi there
I'm trying to convert .osm files to .shp file as I want to use them in ArcGIS. I currently have version 9.3.1 but should be getting version 10 soon, where I think it can be done easily.
Does anyone know know how I can do this?
I have tried several different toolbars and stand alone widgets, but none seem to work.
I've been told that I may be able to do it in FME or with some scripting.... any advice?
I don't currently have access to the ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension, which I believe should be able to do it.
Thanks! Chloe

Michael Schmeling

Michael Schmeling

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Germany

You can get OSM data already converted to shapefiles from two sources:

Geofabrik

Cloudmade
Michael Schmeling
Kassel, Germany
Arid Ocean Map Illustrations
http://maps.aridocean.com
Indie Cartographer
http://www.indiecartographer.com

hayk

hayk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Armenia

Global mapper does this job good, too.

When you get the ArcGIS 10, you can download directly data from OSM into geodatabase.

Hayk

Chloe Denny

Chloe Denny

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

You can get OSM data already converted to shapefiles from two sources:

Geofabrik

Cloudmade

Hi Michael
Unfortunately those two don't have all the same features for download OSM does
Chloe

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

FME can definitely do it, so can the Data Interop Extension (on account of it being FME). Another option is to use QGIS with the OSM plug-in.

You'll have to pick the option that best suits your needs. Geofabrik and Cloudmade don't offer all attributes (and I'm suspecting they don't offer all features either) and the FME and QGIS options both yield different attribute structures (they do give you more control over the data).
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

There are several ArcGIS plugins that lets you convert .osm data to file geodatabases:
I have been using OSM Loader in the past, seems to work great, although I have had problems importing the entire database (planet.osm). With country extracts it works fine.

Then there is the OSM editor for ArcGIS.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Chloe Denny

Chloe Denny

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

There are several ArcGIS plugins that lets you convert .osm data to file geodatabases:
I have been using OSM Loader in the past, seems to work great, although I have had problems importing the entire database (planet.osm). With country extracts it works fine.

I've tried the OSM Loader too, but it seems to require .bz2 files rather than the .osm files - where do i get the .bz2 files from - i dont' see that option as a download from OSM?

The OSM Editor for ArcGIS is for version 10, where as i'm running 9.3.1

Chloe Denny

Chloe Denny

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

FME can definitely do it, so can the Data Interop Extension (on account of it being FME). Another option is to use QGIS with the OSM plug-in.

You'll have to pick the option that best suits your needs. Geofabrik and Cloudmade don't offer all attributes (and I'm suspecting they don't offer all features either) and the FME and QGIS options both yield different attribute structures (they do give you more control over the data).

Thanks - i'm trying to get the Data Interop Extension to work, but i can't seem to at the moment - i'll keep trying......

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

I've tried the OSM Loader too, but it seems to require .bz2 files rather than the .osm files - where do i get the .bz2 files from - i dont' see that option as a download from OSM?

The OSM Editor for ArcGIS is for version 10, where as i'm running 9.3.1

Geofabrik provide the data in bz2 (compressed version).
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/

angel.spatial

angel.spatial

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

I tried Global Mapper, FME, and qGIS on a very large .osm data set. All crashed or threw out errors after hours of processing. I borrowed the asia.osm.bz2 file from the geofabrik link listed above.

I couldn't get the Interop ext to work with OSM very well either.

At the moment I am running OSM Loader in Arc 10. So far it's acting like the compressed version is really no big deal. So I am happy with that.

So for now, definitely go with OSM Loader with Arc 10 if you can.
Share/collaborate GIS data for FREE: data.almostaccurate.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

For those really large files you might get into 64-bit problems. On windows 32-bit there is a 4 GB limit to file sizes, so you need to make sure that libraries and software can handle the large files.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

jlar

jlar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Similar to Hans van der Maarel - Quantum GIS (QGIS) http://qgis.org/ is a great solution. You can simply load the .osm file (Add Vector tool), right-click it in the Table of Contents and Save As ESRI Shapefile.

To go from .shp to .osm I use this: http://wiki.openstre...rg/wiki/Shp2osm example of conversion file here http://wiki.openstre...San_Luis_Obispo

There's no reason not to have QGIS in your toolkit, it's free. Do you have just one screwdriver? Having multiple Desktop GIS's can only help you and make you a more rounded user.

angel.spatial

angel.spatial

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

For those really large files you might get into 64-bit problems. On windows 32-bit there is a 4 GB limit to file sizes, so you need to make sure that libraries and software can handle the large files.

Yeah... I tried it on FME 64bit, but after reading features (nearly 2 billion!) it ended with something like "Error in continuation of line 622... Failed to translate." That was before it started creating the ESRI shp.

For smaller data sets it works like a champ.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Yeah... I tried it on FME 64bit, but after reading features (nearly 2 billion!) it ended with something like "Error in continuation of line 622... Failed to translate." That was before it started creating the ESRI shp.

For smaller data sets it works like a champ.

As the resident FME fanboy here, I feel obliged to chime in :)

Were you doing any processing during the translation, or just straight from OSM to Shape? Have you tried another format such as a geodatabase, which is much more suited towards holding large amounts of data. (I think Shapefiles have a limit somewhere in them since they use dBase files for the attribute storage)

Please note: I am a reseller of FME, so may be biased.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

angel.spatial

angel.spatial

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

As the resident FME fanboy here, I feel obliged to chime in :)

Were you doing any processing during the translation, or just straight from OSM to Shape? Have you tried another format such as a geodatabase, which is much more suited towards holding large amounts of data. (I think Shapefiles have a limit somewhere in them since they use dBase files for the attribute storage)

Please note: I am a reseller of FME, so may be biased.

Hmm... I apparently don't have the license for a Geodatabase, or it's listed as something else. Can you recommend another database format that can receive large data sets like this that will also work in Arc 10?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->