Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone please can help me to convert an image to a Shp file extension.

i tried to convert it to EMF extension then use the illustrator to convert it to AutoCad and from autocad to Gis but it still not working probably. ( the map has a lot of elements that i need to check it out with another version and i need to extract some of the elements without spent ages digitizing it from the source image )

is there any idea about how can i do it ?

is the Arcscane tool useful ?

Bilal

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I think you are out of luck. with any pdf, you are bound to have a number of features and text that you'll need to sort through and delete / edit. You be best of going back to the source of the map and requesting the data directly. But, then, if you are trying to avoid having to purchase data by extracting it from a pdf, you would probably end up spending as much time/money doing so and getting a less than ideal (not to mention possibly illegal) copy of the data.

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

I think you are out of luck. with any pdf, you are bound to have a number of features and text that you'll need to sort through and delete / edit. You be best of going back to the source of the map and requesting the data directly. But, then, if you are trying to avoid having to purchase data by extracting it from a pdf, you would probably end up spending as much time/money doing so and getting a less than ideal (not to mention possibly illegal) copy of the data.

thank,,

I"m not trying to steal the data!! . im trying to short the time it takes me to draw it. i have a map and i converted by using PDF To JPEG Pro, as [EMF]..
extract the data from it using illustrator and it's already a shp file need some geo referencing so i'm not "out of luck" there's nothing Impossible

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

If it is a vector PDF you can georeference it in MAPublisher and then export the layers to shapefile. There's still a number of ifs and buts there, it does require you to know the scale and projection of the map and to have some reliable reference data. In addition to that, depending on how the PDF was made (layered or not) you may have a lot of manually sorting out to do.

If it's a raster PDF (you did mention "image"), things will get even more difficult. There is software that can convert raster to vector and "recognize" features, but I wouldn't put 100% faith in that, so you'd still end up checking and editing manually.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

:)

If it is a vector PDF you can georeference it in MAPublisher and then export the layers to shapefile. There's still a number of ifs and buts there, it does require you to know the scale and projection of the map and to have some reliable reference data. In addition to that, depending on how the PDF was made (layered or not) you may have a lot of manually sorting out to do.

If it's a raster PDF (you did mention "image"), things will get even more difficult. There is software that can convert raster to vector and "recognize" features, but I wouldn't put 100% faith in that, so you'd still end up checking and editing manually.

:) Many Thanks
i will try it

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I just had the opportunity to try this workflow.

Faced with the challenge of digitizing all the campus paths From Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR - I found a PDF composed of vectors. I opened it in Illustrator and first did a little clean-up (snapping vertices, deleting layers I didn't need, etc.) then I exported a DWG.

In ArcGIS I loaded a streets layer for guidance, then added the DWG and using the Georeferencing toolbar - was able to snap things into place. I experimenting with a few different projections and had the best match with Web Mercator.

I'll need to do a little clean-up in the GIS - but now that I know how it works - I'll do more cleaning in Illustrator before exporting because it's a lot faster.

Attached File  Screen_shot_2012_03_12_at_2.26.32_PM.png   138.98KB   48 downloadsAttached File  2012_03_12_1447.png   623.35KB   49 downloads

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Faced with the challenge of digitizing all the campus paths From Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR - I found a PDF composed of vectors. I opened it in Illustrator and first did a little clean-up (snapping vertices, deleting layers I didn't need, etc.) then I exported a DWG.

In ArcGIS I loaded a streets layer for guidance, then added the DWG and using the Georeferencing toolbar - was able to snap things into place. I experimenting with a few different projections and had the best match with Web Mercator.

I'll need to do a little clean-up in the GIS - but now that I know how it works - I'll do more cleaning in Illustrator before exporting because it's a lot faster.

Attached File  Screen_shot_2012_03_12_at_2.26.32_PM.png   138.98KB   48 downloadsAttached File  2012_03_12_1447.png   623.35KB   49 downloads

Thanks,,:)

is there any specific settings for the DWG that you converted from the illustrator Or it's just the default settings

any hint will be great

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

Thanks,,:)

is there any specific settings for the DWG that you converted from the illustrator Or it's just the default settings

any hint will be great

I've done similar work with Illy's DWG format. On older versions of Illustrator and ArcMap, I've had to try every setting to get it to work, but for whatever reason the default in Illustrator CS3 seems to work fine.

Cleaning the artwork up before you bring it to ArcMap definitely speeds things up. And separating things out with the select same stroke and/or fill command helps out too.

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Thank you very much for the useful information you share.

almost i transferred the data from Pdf to GIS by using the procedure above the problem is some of these data has strange pattern i can't recognize; when i converted from the Illustrator to Autocad i got a poly line part of them represent the Area shape as below and the other gathered into one point from the areas vertex

so can i do any step before i converted to Autocad or it's over and crash

Note some of the data i convert is all right

Thank you
Bilal

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->