• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Jeeves

Jeeves

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hi Everybody,

I'm considering a career change, and wanted to get input from folks here. I am currently an academic in Library and Information Science (LIS), and used to work as an academic librarian. To make a longish story short, I am considering leaving academia, and leaving librarianship, as well. I have a PhD and Masters in Information Transfer, as well as an MLS (Masters in Library Science). My original background is in the humanities. I had a one-credit GIS course in library school, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My teaching, research, and work have centered on the organization of information. I am very comfortable with structured data, and I have experience with XML (XSLT, etc.), R, MySQL, library cataloging, and a wide variety of open source software. I've done a ton of technical teaching and training. My programming background is minimal, but I am very willing to pick up a language like Python. I am considering getting a GIS certificate as a way to take my current skills and convert them to work in GIS.

So my question comes down to this: will a GIS certificate be enough, or will my relative lack of background in GIS, cartography, etc., be a killer? The kind of job I have in mind would be related to what I've been doing for the last few years. I would like a (probably public sector) position that involves data management and analysis, mapping, report writing and presentation, etc. Does this sound at all realistic?

Thanks in advance!

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Hi Everybody,

I'm considering a career change, and wanted to get input from folks here. I am currently an academic in Library and Information Science (LIS), and used to work as an academic librarian. To make a longish story short, I am considering leaving academia, and leaving librarianship, as well. I have a PhD and Masters in Information Transfer, as well as an MLS (Masters in Library Science). My original background is in the humanities. I had a one-credit GIS course in library school, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My teaching, research, and work have centered on the organization of information. I am very comfortable with structured data, and I have experience with XML (XSLT, etc.), R, MySQL, library cataloging, and a wide variety of open source software. I've done a ton of technical teaching and training. My programming background is minimal, but I am very willing to pick up a language like Python. I am considering getting a GIS certificate as a way to take my current skills and convert them to work in GIS.

So my question comes down to this: will a GIS certificate be enough, or will my relative lack of background in GIS, cartography, etc., be a killer? The kind of job I have in mind would be related to what I've been doing for the last few years. I would like a (probably public sector) position that involves data management and analysis, mapping, report writing and presentation, etc. Does this sound at all realistic?

Thanks in advance!

Hey,,
it's good to have a Certificate but my point of view it's not enough- you need to work harder on your skills i mean GIS skills you can for sure mixed your sql and managements data skill with the entire other skills.

hope you all the good and full enjoyable career

bilal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->