5 replies to this topic

skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

This is a relatively simple map (a personal project, and to boost my portfolio) to highlight the amount of land used for automobile parking in downtown Cleveland.

https://tiles.mapbox...and-parking-map

Made using Tilemill.

<iframe width='500' height='300' frameBorder='0' src='http://a.tiles.mapbox.com/v3/skorasaurus.downtown-cleveland-parking-map.html#14/41.504/-81.685'></iframe>

I'd like to hear any comments and concerns about it.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I like the simplicity of the map. Works well to tell me where I can park.

I'm not a fan of the parking areas covering the right-of-ways. Furthermore, not crazy about the parking areas covering the labels.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

fdb

fdb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • France

Hello !

I will add the highway-exit's numbers (or the exit's name).

Fran├žois.
Fran├žois de Bercegol
www.geoscript.fr

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

Hi skorasaurus,
Nice map :) I'm not sure what kind of options you've got with MapBox (never used it), or what kind of data you've got, but it would be nice in an interactive map such as this to have data available on click or hover over a parking lot (e.g., pricing, lot's name, a photo of the entrance, etc.). I agree about the covering of labels as bad, though if you digitized those lot polygons yourself I suspect it's hard to predict when roads and their respective labels on your OpenStreetMap base map will overlap those areas as you zoom in and out.
Cheers,
P

skorasaurus

skorasaurus

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • United States

Hi skorasaurus,
Nice map :) I'm not sure what kind of options you've got with MapBox (never used it), or what kind of data you've got, but it would be nice in an interactive map such as this to have data available on click or hover over a parking lot (e.g., pricing, lot's name, a photo of the entrance, etc.). I agree about the covering of labels as bad, though if you digitized those lot polygons yourself I suspect it's hard to predict when roads and their respective labels on your OpenStreetMap base map will overlap those areas as you zoom in and out.
Cheers,
P

Thanks for the suggestions and comments !

Tilemill has tooltips (text boxes with additional information that you can provide) available. I would also like to include all of that information (photo of entrance, the parking lot's address, etc) but I had manually digitized all of those lot polygons myself (in josm, an Openstreetmap data editor), as well as actually finding all of the parking lots in person with my GPS (though I found a few that I had missed thanks to bing imagery which is allowed to be used with OSM). (For what it's worth, my local county GIS dept. did have the parking lots data available but it was woefully incomplete). Going to survey all of the lots again for that additional information is going to take a bit of time and probably would have to put it on the back burner.

As for the covering of labels (you're referring to scenarios like this - http://i.imgur.com/rPrDI.png - right ?) is most likely a bug in the mapnik rendering library itself.

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

As for the covering of labels (you're referring to scenarios like this - http://i.imgur.com/rPrDI.png - right ?) is most likely a bug in the mapnik rendering library itself.

By covering of labels, I was referring to the sort of thing that's happening to, for example, Lindazzo street in your posted image, near the top - the orange polygon is flush against the road symbol, and the glyphs "Lindazzo" actually project under and over the road symbol. So, your polygons end up covering bits of the labels, which, if I understand right, are inseparable portions of the OSM base map below. One way to mitigate that (again, if it's possible with the platform) is through translucency with your polygon layer. Lots could get less transparent, for example, when you hovered over them with the mouse. Another, simpler way to deal with the issue would be to simply shrink all your polygons by just a few ground meters - probably wouldn't be a graphical issue, since some of the polygons already are not perfectly tangent to road lines, and you could do spot fixes, since your dataset is small enough that that wouldn't be onerous.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->