- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Steven Workman

Steven Workman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hello everyone. I am recent graduate. I have a simple question and hopefully someone will be able to help. Im working in Arcmap 10, and I created a personal geodatabase and file dataset. If I click on the file dataset properties and change the coordinate system, is that going to definitely change the coordinate system of that dataset? Do I need to use the define project tool instead? Thanks for help in advance.

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • United States

You are better off creating a new feature dataset with the correct coordinate system, then loading or reloading any data into it.

A feature dataset (or a feature class) has a spatial reference which includes the coordinate system, xy/z/m domain (extent), xy/z/m resolution and tolerance values. The domain and resolution values are used for storing coordinates while the tolerance values are used when processing data. They are all related to the coordinate system. The minimum xy domain values reflect what's valid for the coordinate system, the resolution and tolerance values are in the same unit of measure as the coordinate system. If you change the coordinate system, all this information can get out-of-sync.

Melita

Steven Workman

Steven Workman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Thank you very much Melita. That was very helpful. I'll do what you suggested from now on.

yazgis

yazgis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thank you very much Melita. That was very helpful. I'll do what you suggested from now on.

How can i project an existing dataset into diffrent coordinate system without creating a new dataset?

Thanks

P.Raposo

P.Raposo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • United States

How can i project an existing dataset into diffrent coordinate system without creating a new dataset?

Thanks

Hi Yazgis,
I think the tool you want to use is Project Raster, though that will create a new dataset. This is probably a good idea, because projection necessarily involves resampling the raster cell values. Making a new raster, instead of just writing over the original one, means you keep a copy of the original data (i.e., cell values), in case you need to go back to your source data at some point. You can always just use the new, reprojected raster in your workflow instead of the original one.
Cheers,
P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->