• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

JPD

JPD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello,

I'm looking for global renewable energy (tidal/wind/wave etc.) maps in shapefile format. I've found a fair few for the UK or the US and some other individual countries but have struggled to find anything covering the entire globe. If anyone has any idea where to locate such data I would be grateful if you could share.

Kind regards

James

Earthscientist

Earthscientist

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello,

I'm looking for global renewable energy (tidal/wind/wave etc.) maps in shapefile format. I've found a fair few for the UK or the US and some other individual countries but have struggled to find anything covering the entire globe. If anyone has any idea where to locate such data I would be grateful if you could share.

Kind regards

James

I think you will need to be more specific about the variables you require information about. I think you will also find that such information will be provided in arrayed data form, not vector drawing form.

Have you tried NOAA, USGS and NASA.

JPD

JPD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello,

Kind regards

James

I think you will need to be more specific about the variables you require information about. I think you will also find that such information will be provided in arrayed data form, not vector drawing form.

Hello

The sort of thing that I'm looking for is a ranking of how much potential available wind/wave/tidal power there is in particular areas. I'm assuming that this data would be derived from average wind speeds, consistency of wind and topography etc. (and similar for wave/tidal) So thinking about it, a raster would serve this function too.

I've had a quick look on Echo Reverb but not much comes up with relevant search terms.

Kody

Kody

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

The GIS Lounge has a helpful page for how to attain wind speed data. The links that link to actual GIS downloads are from:
  • National Weather Service
  • 3TIER for global data
  • WeoGeo
  • Wind Energy GIS
For global data you will either need to download national data from each country or pay 3TIER for an in-depth global shapefile.

Wind & GIS

Edited by Kody, 07 March 2012 - 01:56 PM.

Earthscientist

Earthscientist

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello,

Kind regards

James

Hello

The sort of thing that I'm looking for is a ranking of how much potential available wind/wave/tidal power there is in particular areas. I'm assuming that this data would be derived from average wind speeds, consistency of wind and topography etc. (and similar for wave/tidal) So thinking about it, a raster would serve this function too.

I've had a quick look on Echo Reverb but not much comes up with relevant search terms.

Tehn a lot of what you require is standard climate and oceanographic data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->