Photo

arcmap legend

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom

I have a map Im making that uses 3d data - an elevation model. To create a smooth color ramp across the region I used 100 'jenks'. So for example, the ramp range is 5000 and each jenk is 50, e.g., 0-50, 50-100, 100-150 etc. This makes for a pretty ugly legend. Is there a way to keep the color scheme the same, but compress the legend into something a bit more meaningful?

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I wasn't sure what a 'jenk' was and a web query returned a definition from the urban dictionary that made me blush. :P

Perhaps a picture would help in explaining what you are after. Regardless, I think you might find edification from this post from ESRI's mapping center.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

When you say "jenks" do you mean you are using a classified renderer? Although, if you set values like the ones you described it's probably not using the Jenks natural breaks algorithm.

In any case, it sounds like you used discrete classes, so the legend does the same. If you want a smooth color ramp in the map and in the legend the easiest option would be to use a stretched renderer in the layer symbology dialog. That would give you the smooth color ramp on your map and the legend would match it.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

This is a problem that ArcGIS has, if you want more control with smooth ranges, for me I turn to Photoshop or Global Mapper.

For the OP - if the legend is the only issue, why not skip the automatically created legend, and create an image in Photoshop that you can use as a legend.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->